584,857 active members*
4,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Laser setup - Mirrors aligned, getting two dots with pulse and tape on laser head

Laser setup - Mirrors aligned, getting two dots with pulse and tape on laser head

I just finished installing and setting up my new 80W laser. Got all the mirrors aligned, and at all four corners, the laser is hitting the third mirror in the same spot, nearly exactly at the center.

When I set the laser to the focal length and do a pulse on a piece of wood, I get a center dot, but also a kind of half moon around it.

I attached tape directly to the laser cutter head and pulsed, and when I pulled off the tape, I had two holes instead of one. (will try to attach pictures to show).

Any idea what this problem could be? Faulty laser head? Bad focal lens? I'm pretty new to lasers and have not experience this problem before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Laser setup - Mirrors aligned, getting two dots with pulse and tape on laser head

I’d look closely at the lens. Then check the burn pattern behind each component starting behind the lens. If you get two burns out of the tube then it’s the tube. Due a quick test fire on painters tape. Be carful not to gunk up the mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Laser setup - Mirrors aligned, getting two dots with pulse and tape on laser head

On one of my lasers the final mirror was to far back and the beam would bounce off the side of the lens tube. I had to lower the whole lens mount so the beam coming in would hit higher up on the mirror and the go through the lens straight down. The beam still hits the same spot at all 4 corners but just a little higher