585,554 active members*
2,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > more 770 wierdness.. CMOS battery

more 770 wierdness.. CMOS battery

I posted a while back about my 770's CMOS battery dying, and my inability to replace it, (due to its buried location inside the PC tower).
    I called TORMACH for advise, and they told me to just run it with the dead battery.
    So now, the comupter won't turn on by using the front panel Computer on/off power switch.
    I have to open the machine stand, and push the PC tower's on button in order to get the PC to turn on.
    Could this be related to the CMOS battery dying?
    TORMACH Tech support wants me to send them a video.
    Grrrrrrrrrr.......

Re: more 770 wierdness.. CMOS battery

Probably. If the behaviour that you want is not the default then a dead battery could cause the symptoms that you note. On most computers there is a submenu in the BIOS setup menu called “Advanced” or "Power Management Setup" or “ACPI” or something similar that allows you to choose how the computer reacts to the power being restored.

Re: more 770 wierdness.. CMOS battery

Sounds like your battery was keeping your BIOS settings set while power is turned off. As Kstraus mentioned there is a setting under APM configuration or similar that tells the computer what to do after power is forcibly shut down. It should say something like "Restore on AC power loss". Can't tell you exactly, because every computer is slightly different. The correct setting is either the "last state" or "on". Shutting down the computer with the main power switch or the front panel Computer on/off power switch is forcibly shutting down the power. So the next time you turn on the main power or front panel Computer on/off power switch, the computer knows to turn on. If that BIOS setting does not hold with power cycling, then you need to replace the battery.

On most computers, replacing the battery is not that difficult. Take a look at this article.
    https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/...S-battery.aspx