585,931 active members*
5,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Hass VF6 how do you stop in middle of program

Hass VF6 how do you stop in middle of program

We have A Vf-6 1996 vintage and want to know if there is a way to stop, in the middle of the program to check inserts on a tool. We can stop axis movement but the spindle stays running. is there a way to stop the spindle and restart the program?

M00 at the place you want to stop will always stop the program and turn off the spindle.

M01 is optional stop and the Optional Stop button has to be pressed for it to stop the program.

If you want to stop just any place and check tools I think you can Feed Hold then push the STOP button down in the overrides. You have to push CW (or CCW whichever is correct for the program) to start the spindle again before pushing Cycle Start to release the feed hold.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I go to single step mode. I usually wait until a rise to Z clearance is commanded. Then when the current movement is completed, press spindle stop. Look at the inserts, do whatever and then continue. My machine will restart the spindle when I press single step to continue. But, I usually restart the spindle myself anyway, just because I figure its a good habit to cultivate
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Guys

I think on a 96 Haas when you try to stop the spindle in the middle of a program you have to restart the program. to do this cursor to the line after the point you stopped at then go to program restart and hit cycle start. It will go through the program and pick up the comps and bring the tool where you want it. as far as I remember when you try to stop the spindle it says "you have to reset to stop the program" its been awhile but thats what I remember.so if you want to check your inserts send the tool home turn off the spindle and put an m00 then check the inserts and proceed
    Joe

At the point you want to stop put a Z+ move then an M0. Check your inserts then have an M3 to restart your spindle after.

Something like this should work.

X?Y? (LAST MOVE)
    G0Z8.
    MO(CHECK INSERTS)
    GOG54G90X?Y?M3(RESTART SPINDLE MOVE TO NEXT POSITION)
    Z.1M8(TURN COOLANT ON IF NEEDED)

You probably don't need the work offset and G90 but I just write it this way not to confuse others. The tool H offset will still be active but if you feel more comfortable you can add that also.

X?Y? (LAST MOVE)
    G0Z8.
    MO(CHECK INSERTS)
    GOG54G90X?Y?M3(RESTART SPINDLE MoVE TO NEXT POSITION)
    G43H?Z1.
    Z.1M8(TURN COOLANT ON IF NEEDED)

With this you only need to check your inserts and then hit cycle start.