584,837 active members*
5,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > computer requirements

computer requirements

I am looking at upgrading the pc to handle the tool pathing better and quicker . I currently have a i5 3.4 ghz 8gb 64bit windows 7 with no video card , it is way too slow if I make the tolerance in madcam at 0.001mm .

I think part of the problem is the step over sizes I use to get the finish needed .... usually in the range of 0.02mm step over with a 0.1mm cutter and up to 3 million lines of code

any suggestions?

thanks

Re: computer requirements

I would suggest writing RhinoScripts to automate your madCAM toolpath generation.

I also have very long finishing passes but I've automated the whole madCAM process including saving the g-code file when madCAM is finished. My files typically take 40 minutes or longer to finish but they run unattended.

I learned about scripting madCAM from this video:

Buy an i7 processor and buy that video card. It will make a good difference.
    My initial thought though, is why do you generate paths with 0.001 tolerance and 0,02 steps? Do you create nano tube molds?!

Thanks for the scripting link .... but I am not understanding how it will make the computer calculate faster ?

I can how ever see how it takes less of my time .

Not nano tube molds ..... jewelry cut in wax . I need very fine detail with almost polished surfaces . Saves on hand finishing .

I already have the i7 chip what video card do you recommend ?

In the first post you wrote you have an i5. Get an i7 8 core CPU and you can maximize calculation speed. Don't forget to increase the number of calculation threads in the settings.
    Graphics, get an expensive card! The more the merrier. If the price of the GPU is equal to the CPU you are looking at a card that works. If the cost is double, we're getting closer to good...

I also know that there has been performance issues for some people with the simulator, it was simply too good for our computers. The rumors says there will be a two options-simulator in the future where one is working better for low performance GPUs. But why go slow when you can go fast?

yes your right .... wasn't thinking when i typed that I am using i5

does the gpu help with calculations or just simulator speed and function?

anything else i should mention to my tech guy about what computer to get?

what is the current status with windows 10 and madcam function ? has all the bugs been fixed , i seem to recall joachim had to do some quick patches because of windows 10

thanks for the responce .