584,833 active members*
5,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > how to get dimensions with active UCS

how to get dimensions with active UCS

I must be doing something wrong. I can never get the dimensions to go off of my Active UCS, it only goes off of the Top UCS and it is driving me crazy. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is there a trick? Also can I get it to default to four place decimal instead of two all the time?

Thanks to anyone who can help me gain a little sanity with this.

Edit: forgot to mention this is in v29

Re: how to get dimensions with active UCS

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    I must be doing something wrong. I can never get the dimensions to go off of my Active UCS, it only goes off of the Top UCS and it is driving me crazy. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is there a trick?Thanks to anyone who can help me gain a little sanity with this.

Edit: forgot to mention this is in v29
    You may have to be more descriptive of what you are doing. It seems to work well over here.

Can you provide a sample and an explanation of what you want done?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spun-n-rotated dims.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	409932

Also can I get it to default to four place decimal instead of two all the time?
    Preferences-settings default-Dimensions... Set your prefs there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I create multiple UCS for each part, one for each operation.
    I have attached a picture of an example. In this my TOP ucs is in the upper right hand corner of the part. I created another ucs for another op and you can see the location of the ucs is almost at the bottom of the part and off to the left of the top ucs.
    I like to use points for most of my dimensions, and on this one my active ucs is the second one I have created, but the dimension of the point I did always goes back to the xyz location of the top ucs, not the active ucs. Makes it very hard on me as I do
    not usually have prints to work off of.

edit: I attached a zipped bobcad file, similar but not the same because I did not think of saving the example of the pic but same situation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    I create multiple UCS for each part, one for each operation.
    I have attached a picture of an example. In this my TOP ucs is in the upper right hand corner of the part. I created another ucs for another op and you can see the location of the ucs is almost at the bottom of the part and off to the left of the top ucs.
    I like to use points for most of my dimensions, and on this one my active ucs is the second one I have created, but the dimension of the point I did always goes back to the xyz location of the top ucs, not the active ucs. Makes it very hard on me as I do
    not usually have prints to work off of.

edit: I attached a zipped bobcad file, similar but not the same because I did not think of saving the example of the pic but same situation.
    Ok, i didnt get your file yet, but i think i understand.

You are doing a "point location" dimension, and it is akways reading the WCS, and what you want is localized UCS output....

I'll have to open and look at it a bit later...

I looked at my old V29 and it is only reading the WCS.

I have since moved on to V31 and it reads the UCS correctly with a point dimension.

I don't know if the V29 on my system was the last one or not, so I don't know what your options are.

Maybe contact them or submit a ticket to find out what those are...

Bummer, I had been hoping that it was me and not the software..... I guess I will need to live with it.
    thanks BurrMan