584,846 active members*
4,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice on my Large Scale Z axis

Greetings again!

Well I'm well on my way to figure out how my "X" axis (actually it isn't X, will attach to my Z tower. The Z tower is a 12" square aluminum truss with 2" diameter tubes, 2 meters tall. The X arm is a 9" triangular truss with I think 1.5" tubes. This will be belt driven.

Originally i was going with SBR20 linear rails for the Z, but after much reading about binding, I am going with a simpler tried and true design used in most 3D prints. Please see my diagram. I am using larger Delrin wheels and bearings. Transferring some of the load to the rear of the truss.

I designed this bracket.

Cost is a factor but what are your thoughts on going with aluminum or sheet steel? I will see about getting this plasma or waterjet cut. Then bent.

What do you think would be a good thickness? 1/8"?

I'm not an expert in Aluminum alloys 6061? 5052?

I'd like to be able to adjust the tension, but also be able to adjust the right angle of the X arm if I'm off.

i will have an aluminum base-plate which is made by the manufacturer of the Truss, so it keys in perfectly. That way, the arm can be easily broken down for transport.

Thanks for any advice.

I think I will also move the belt drive to the rear rather than originally where the two truss join.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tube-S2tyles.jpg  

Re: Advice on my Large Scale Z axis

I would make the bracket in 3 pieces out of 1/2 inch 6061. Bolt the pieces together with 5/16 cap screws. Or you could just bolt the ''wings'' to the supplied bracket if there is room. If you want to reduce the weight, cutting out a large hole in the center of the ''wing'' would work well.

For adjustable rollers, I would use cam followers pressed into the delrin rollers. The cam followers are available with adjustable position. https://www.mcmaster.com/cam-followers
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Advice on my Large Scale Z axis

Jim!

Your advice is gold. I wouldn't second guess you. That was my 6AM sketch. I will do cutouts and refine it more. I'll do a cardboard mock up next and see how well it fits.

Thanks again!!!