500,733 active members
4,442 visitors online
Register for free
Login

HTD5M Belt flexibility Urathane or Rubber?

Hi Gang!

I just got in 5 meters of white 30mm wide HTD5M belt. This has steel reinforcement.

I find it kind of stiff. I hope is can go around the pulieys okay. I need to order 15mm belt, today. I see black belt called "rubber" also some referred to as "Neoprene".

What are your thoughts on the White Urethane belt vs, black "rubber?"

Is the stiffness a problem? I'm guessing mostly the steel wire is creating the stiffness.

thanks

Re: HTD5M Belt flexibility Urathane or Rubber?

The belt will go around a 3 inch or so pulley just fine. The other option is to get a belt with Kevlar reinforcement, it's a bit more flexible the the steel.

The neoprene should work fine also. I have normally used the white urethane belts for long runs (up to 7 meters or so) where a lot of tension is required and moving loads of several hundred lbs.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim!

I'm going to have to send you a Birthday Present:-)

Your knowledge is amazing. And I really appreciate getting your opinion before I make a purchase. The white 30mm wide belt I have is plenty strong. I just though it may be too stiff, but you are right, over 1500mm to 2000mm it should be fine.!

Thank you for the kind words. I have been building machines for various applications for about 50 years, so have a little experience with what it out there to work with.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA