584,861 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Spindle Cable from VFD Question

Spindle Cable from VFD Question

Hi if anyone can help, I have a machine running a 2.2kW HY spindle and it is using a 16 AWG 4C Shielded Cable (600v) and has been working fine for two years now. I am building a bigger machine and my supplier has run out and is not getting more and I am having trouble finding it in this rural area. However I am able to get 16 AWG 2C Shielded cable and I am wondering if a double run of this from the VFD would induce any problems?

Thanks

Luke

Re: Spindle Cable from VFD Question

Yes, you're likely to see noise issues by running your motor phases through 2 separate cables.
    You would be better off with 4 single conductor wires, twisting the 3 for the motor phases together, and running the ground along side them in some braid. Spindle wiring really should be shielded though, and that's tough to do without the proper cable.

Quote Originally Posted by robotintheforest View Post
    Hi if anyone can help, I have a machine running a 2.2kW HY spindle and it is using a 16 AWG 4C Shielded Cable (600v) and has been working fine for two years now. I am building a bigger machine and my supplier has run out and is not getting more and I am having trouble finding it in this rural area. However I am able to get 16 AWG 2C Shielded cable and I am wondering if a double run of this from the VFD would induce any problems?

Thanks

Luke
    You can buy your cable from IGUS the cable you want is CF6-15-04

They are in Canada if that is where you are, here is one contact in BC

mobile:
    1-604-316-7607
    Fax:
    1-905-760-8688
    E-Mail:
    [email protected]
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Yes, you're likely to see noise issues by running your motor phases through 2 separate cables.
    You would be better off with 4 single conductor wires, twisting the 3 for the motor phases together, and running the ground along side them in some braid. Spindle wiring really should be shielded though, and that's tough to do without the proper cable.
    Open braid is of not use what's so every for a VFD Drive installation, 3 tightly twisted wires would be better by them selves if he has no other options
    Mactec54