584,333 active members*
6,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: No Way Lube

Page 1 of 2 12

No Way Lube

I have a 3016 that quit taking way lube. The first thing done was to replace the metering units, but that didn't do the trick. I then replaced the seal and oring in the cylinder inside the pump unit. No dice. It appears that its pushing it all out the bypass back into the reservoir and will not show any pressure building at all. Would anyone have any suggestions for me?

Re: No Way Lube

The first thing I would do is check to see if the unit is being turned on electrically. A blown fuse or bad relay will stop all things lube..

Thank you for the reply. It has an airmatic pdi pump, and it seems to be functioning electrically. The solenoid and low lube switch both work.

I have isolated the pump to just one manifold so I can cycle the pump and keep an eye on the metering units. When I plug the bypass and cycle the pump, it builds and holds pressure. It has spiked up to 390 psi before I uncorked it. The only time I have witnessed them work is when I used solvent instead of oil. Then they would spit a little out. But the bypass still needs to be plugged. I'm completely stumped. It seems like such a simple system.

PDI systems don't flow during pressure part of the cycle. There are little spring loaded balls in the meters, when the pressure drops the oil flows. It sounds like your bypass is not working right as well. Always bypassing?

Correct, always bypassing. Brand new bypass. The down time is killing me, I may have to spring for a whole new pump. Not sure what else to try. It seemed simple enough to replace all the wearable parts and get back going.

Maybe the pressure is to high, and the bypass is doing what it should. I would open the connection to the manifold and see if you get out put of oil with out bypass.
    In the old days when I worked for an Fadal distributor we would drop and empty the tank, then fill with K1 kerosene and pump the hell out of them until K! pored out from everywhere. Off brand oils are hell on Bijur systems, that's why PDI was developed.

Using a brand new piece of line, so I know there are no kinks or any other restrictions, and disconnected from the manifold it bypasses about 50-75% of the oil near as I can guess.

PDI is about volume not pressure. I cant say that I know the normal operation of the bypass. As deep as you are into this thing at this point I would drop the tank fill with K1 and cycle the hell out of it, to see if you can get oil to the end points. Where are you located? I have lots of service contacts.

I will give it a try, thank you. Im in Forest Lake, MN.

To cycle PDI you want short on time, a little more off time, then repeat many times, and look for K1 to pour out of all of the ways or rails. Sorry no friends in MN. Best of luck!

Try removing the filter and see if the problem persists.

Jon

It will not push the kerosene through. With the filter or without, it bypasses every drop. The metering units are brand new. I appreciate your responses, if you have more keep them coming. Im all out of ideas.

I was just told by the guy that I purchased these metering units from, that they need 300-400 psi to pass oil through them. If thats the case, then the bypass not even holding 25psi would maybe be the problem?

Did this system ever work for you? or could you have some miss-matched hardware? PDI does not pass fluid under pressure.

It worked for years. The metering units appear to be unmistakable. And the pdi valve came straight from Bijur. Here is a link to the pump.

http://www.bijurdelimon.com/fileadmi...-PDI_DS-R0.pdf

Have you tried replacing the choke valve within the reservoir tank ?

Have you tried replacing the choke valve

The valve inside the reservoir is brand new also.

Ok...Lets try something.
    Remove the 2 5/32 plastic lines coming from the Y quick disconnect fitting on the output from the pump.
    Take a piece of 5/32 line and jump both sides of the Y fitting together.
    With the machine off depress the small white button in the middle of the pump solenoid valve a few times.
    If the pump pressure comes up your pump is good and one or more of your meters is stuck open.
    If the pump does not come up to pressure, you have a problem with the choke valve or piston.
    Let me know and we can go on.
    Best Regards

I did try that, and the pressure will not come up. And the piston and valve are brand new. I talked with a guy from Bijur, he and an engineer are stumped. I was told to replace the pump. My thought was the new valve is the issue, it spits all the fluid out. But the guy I talked to would have none of what I thought. His response was "The valve is brand new, it should just work. If it didnt work that would be defying all odds."

You guys have been more helpful than Bijur or Fadal.

Page 1 of 2 12