585,744 active members*
5,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Librecad to G-code ?

Dear CNCZone Member,

I want to make a CNC able text from Librecad ?
    What's the process on making it ?

Thanks

Re: Librecad to G-code ?

I've not seem Librecad, but usually CAD software produces a DXF file that CAM software uses ( eg Vectric Cut 2D ) to produce the G Code. That file is sent to the CNC Machine where Mach 3 ( for example ) uses the G Code to make the part.

Librecad is a fork of Qcad and does a good job at no cost.As mentioned,you can import the drawing into a CAM application and then generate the G-code.You will need to tick the right boxes to have the cut on the correct side of the drawn line and you will need to specify tool diameter and possibly maximum cut depth if the job is too thick for a single pass.You may be able to generate the toolpath from Inkscape but I have to admit to never being able to get it to work and finding it a very difficult program to get to grips with.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Librecad is a fork of Qcad and does a good job at no cost.As mentioned,you can import the drawing into a CAM application and then generate the G-code.You will need to tick the right boxes to have the cut on the correct side of the drawn line and you will need to specify tool diameter and possibly maximum cut depth if the job is too thick for a single pass.You may be able to generate the toolpath from Inkscape but I have to admit to never being able to get it to work and finding it a very difficult program to get to grips with.
    What's the CAM software do you use ?
    I'm using GRBL Control for driving the machine, but I haven't found a way on converting DXF or SVG to G-code, how do you reckon for Fusion360 ?

I use the path module of Freecad to generate the code.It will import dxf files and then you can determine the cutting strategy.There are useful videos on youtube and sliptonic does a great job of explaining the process.I have seen lots of recommendations for Fusion360 but won't be going that way myself as I would rather have the software under my control and I remember the Photobucket fiasco.

What type of machine do you own ? Is it a mill or router or something else ?
    What type of cutting ? Example: 2D contours, engraving, 3D objects like a hemisphere, all of these and more ?
    There is complex software that does many things and easier to use software for specific tasks.

QCad (with add-on) can make code for things like 2D contour but it takes a bit of extra effort. Mentioning it because of the connection to Librecad
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Try CAMBAM for producing the G-code, CAMBAM also has some drafting capabilities including text, it's free to use for the first 30 starts

As others have mentioned, if you save your drawing files as DXF output you could try some inexpensive software called SimplyCam from MR-Soft Nc Software Tools

It supports a large number of PostProcessors so your controls may be included or you can write/edit your own.

You can try it to see if it is any good for you but without a license it will only write about 100 lines of G-Code.

Cheers,

Dear CNC members,

Is it the same between *?stl for 3D printer and for my CNC ?
    I used Repetier 3D printer G-code, is it the same for CNC ?
    Anyone has example on how to use Autodesk Fusion 360 for engraving a letter ?

Thanks

Anyone has example on how to use Autodesk Fusion 360 for engraving a letter ?
    Many Fusion 360 examples on YouTube.
    F-Engrave works well and much simpler to learn.
    Link --> F-Engrave

Is it the same between *?stl for 3D printer and for my CNC ?
    There is software like Meshcam designed to work with STL. I have little experience cutting those type of triangle mesh files.
    For those type of files Fusion 360 would be a poor choice.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.