584,808 active members*
5,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Arduino

Arduino

Hi, I am looking for an Arduino starter kit which would be good for me consider the fact that I am a newbie. Which one do you use and which one should I get?

Re: Arduino

What you want to do (milling, turning, etc) and what hardware you have or want to buy (Drivers, steppers, laser, controller, etc).

If you just want to get familiar, get the basic kit from Electronix Express (yes, that is how it is spelled). It has a few switches and components to get through the sample sketches on arduino.cc. Not a bad buy at about $30 and it is a real Arduino. I use this kit to teach my students and it is more than adequate. If you want to move motors, you will need more like a motor shield and a power supply. Depends on what you want to do.

Kits: you're usually paying for a bunch of stuff you'll never use, especially if you're just starting and don't know what bits you do and don't want.

To begin with, I'd go for something small and cheap. An Arduino Micro or clone, maybe. Bang it into your USB port and write some simple LED flashing programs, then play with the timers and PWM to get the LEDs to "breathe". Sounds easy and unspectacular but it gets you rolling.

Next step, in this forum's context, is to buy a little A4988 breakout board and a baby stepper motor together with a potentiometer. A breadboard with a wire pack, a bunch of alligator clips etc to 'glue' things together. You can learn about the analog to digital converter with the potentiometer and stepper control using the A4988 chip. Start with just getting the motor turning back and forth, then get work up positioning it based on the potentiometer position using acceleration etc.

At about this point you've spent maybe forty bucks and learned a bunch about the Arduino IDE, using libraries, the IOs and the C language it uses to glue it all together. Pretty good investment. If you decide to continue onto bigger and better things, you've now got some ideas on what to look for in kits (or just keep buying individual peripherals). If you want a bigger board, no probs - you can always keep the baby one as some kind of logic glue and it's amazing how often that comes in handy in random projects. On the other hand, if you give up on it now you've not just blown a great stack of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanex View Post
    consider the fact that I am a newbie.
    Everyone is a newbie at something, for me electronics is all new or at least the skills are very rusty. If newbie to electronics learning circuits would be a logical start.
    Kits with 'plug-this-into-that-because-we-say-so' instructions don't teach much despite all the fancy gadgets. Go with the basics.

If the interest is strictly cnc just buy shield-drives-motors and get on with it.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

I would definitely recommend you to read this article, cause you will find what you a looking for. It is all about Arduino Starter Kits https://geeklah.com/best-arduino-starter-kit.html