584,800 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Vcarve is it possible to copy with tool path?

Vcarve is it possible to copy with tool path?

Hello to all,
    This is my first post here, Apologies if this is a daft question, tried searching a few different things, but I think my lack of knowledge as far as the lingo go’s is letting me down.
    So that been said I’ll explain what I’d like to do….
    I have a cnc router with a bed size of 1100x800 and have regular orders for words to be cut out of MDF in a joined up font (for example "Cake" ) every week a different set of words but with some popping up regularly.
    I cram as many words on the sheet as possible and have to create tool paths for each sheet which is a bit tedious to say the least (could be up to six words per sheet).
    So my question is can I take a word, create a tool path for it and save this separately and then drag this to my sheet as and when needed with tool path?
    If this is not possible on vcarve can anyone recommend other software?
    Hope that’s clear and thanks in advance

Re: Vcarve is it possible to copy with tool path?

Try the "Array Copy Toolpath" command.

Or maybe that's not what you're asking?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Don't know vCarve but would placing your "words" on different drawing layers be of any use? Enable/disable the layer(s) to "see" and generate the toolpaths as needed.

i'll check out the array command and let you know, as for the layers idea not that would help but i'll have a look for sure, thanks for the response's

With VCarve, you could create a job with all sorts of words that start with A, another with B, and so on. If someone wants a word that starts with R, you open the R drawing.

If someone wants a word you still have not added to the R drawing, you can add the word in an open space and create tool paths for it, then save the drawing. Make sure you save the toolpath name as the word name just for clarity.

So, lets say you have 30 words so far. You need the word RABBIT. turn on only the Rabbit toolpath on the toolpath list.

Delete all the other words, then move rabbit to the preferred zero location (you may desire to leave a blank area for this in the lower left or center of the drawing so things are always ready to go).

With the visible word in the correct location, you can go to "Toolpaths", and "Regenerate all Toolpaths". VCarve should move your toolpath to match the new location of the word and give you a report on its success in doing so.

It is possible that Cadlinks SIGNLAB program could be of assistance here depending on what you are exactly needing to do in order to prepare your "joined" word. The program still does have an awful lot of very specific methods and tools related to text work and engraving.

The cost of a new installation of Signlab or Engravelab will not be enjoyable however (even though prices have dropped considerably since VCarve hit the market), and, they hang your productivity with a dongle on top of it. Yuck.
    Chris L

In Vcarve the only way to do this would be to have the same word in the same exact location. i.e. x=100 y=100. If you put the words in a different place, in order to get more on the sheet or better arrange them, then you must recalculate each time.
    I did do something similar a while back where I had 3 words all on top of each other in VCarve, on a sign. I had a toolpath for each word and toolpaths for the sign and cut-out but obviously I only choose to run the one word toolpath, and the sign and cut-out,I wanted for that job. The only other idea might be to look at homing and limits in mach3(If that's what you are using) to setup fixed areas on the bed for fixed words. Good luck.

Ok, I missed that you need to cut numerous qty's of the same word.

Well, there is always the ability to do copies using potential codes in your control directly. Most controls will allow you to take any toolpath written for a given location, the create a grid of of the same code across your work piece by defining columns and rows and distances for or between each... a LOOP of sorts.

The control basically runs the first path at zero, then makes a relative move and resets zero to the new location and runs the path again. You would need to look into your control to find out exactly what it will require.

Of course this certainly will not be "Nesting" if that is an additional goal, but only you can decide where the time verses money issue comes into play. If your cutting MDF, the cost shouldn't be too bad.
    Chris L

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    With VCarve, you could create a job with all sorts of words that start with A, another with B, and so on. If someone wants a word that starts with R, you open the R drawing.

If someone wants a word you still have not added to the R drawing, you can add the word in an open space and create tool paths for it, then save the drawing. Make sure you save the toolpath name as the word name just for clarity.

So, lets say you have 30 words so far. You need the word RABBIT. turn on only the Rabbit toolpath on the toolpath list.

Delete all the other words, then move rabbit to the preferred zero location (you may desire to leave a blank area for this in the lower left or center of the drawing so things are always ready to go).

With the visible word in the correct location, you can go to "Toolpaths", and "Regenerate all Toolpaths". VCarve should move your toolpath to match the new location of the word and give you a report on its success in doing so.

It is possible that Cadlinks SIGNLAB program could be of assistance here depending on what you are exactly needing to do in order to prepare your "joined" word. The program still does have an awful lot of very specific methods and tools related to text work and engraving.

The cost of a new installation of Signlab or Engravelab will not be enjoyable however (even though prices have dropped considerably since VCarve hit the market), and, they hang your productivity with a dongle on top of it. Yuck.
    This sounds like a plan!! I'm not in front of it at the mo, but i'll let you know how i get on, would rather stick with vcarve as i'm just starting to find my way round it, but i'm sure i've only just scratched the surface of what it can do.