584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > Router retrofit using Glentek GA370 amps & Kflop/Kanalog

Router retrofit using Glentek GA370 amps & Kflop/Kanalog

Hello Tom,

I am helping a friend retrofit the control on a machine he recently purchased for his business. It currently has a Fagor 8050 control that is using Glentek GA370 amplifiers. While I would like to use SnapAmps for this, I'm afraid that the motors that are on the machine would not develop enough torque to get adequate performance at 80v, as they are now running at a nominal 150vdc.

This leaves me with hoping that I can use the current Glentek amplifiers. It seems to me that these amps use +/- 15v from the control, and I know that Kanalog puts out +/- 10v to interface with analog amps. Could I reasonably expect to control these amplifiers with Kflop/Kanalog, or is this a problem?

Here is a link to the Glentek GA370:

https://www.glentek.com/download/ga3...al/?wpdmdl=359

If so, would it just involve stepping up the voltage before the amps? We already have a Kflop and Kanalog in house for the retrofit, and we would like to not be forced to use the Fagor control as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,
    Spank

Re: Router retrofit using Glentek GA370 amps & Kflop/Kanalog

Hi Spank,

The Glentek Amps should accept a +/-10V input which is the industry standard. I found this in the manual:

4.4.3 SIGNAL INPUT:
    The GA370 has two signal input configurations controlled by JP1. Configuration A (JP1 set on A) has two
    single-ended inputs SIG. IN. (J1-2) and AUX. IN. (J1-1). Configuration B (JP1 set on B) has one single-ended
    input AUX. IN (J1-1) and one differential input DIFF. IN (J2-1), DIFF. RET. (J2-2). (Refer to Appendix B,
    drawing 370-3003). Typically when operating in the velocity mode, the input signal range is ±10 VDC. The
    input voltage is summed with a precision DC tachometer to provide accurate velocity control at the servo motor
    shaft (see fig. 3.1). The Signal Gain potentiometer RV2 (20 K), and Auxiliary Gain potentiometer RV1 (20 K),
    adjust the motor velocity desired for a given input voltage velocity command (see 4.2 for recommended wire
    type & size).

You might try this simple test.

HTH
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Spank,

The Glentek Amps should accept a +/-10V input which is the industry standard. I found this in the manual:

4.4.3 SIGNAL INPUT:
    The GA370 has two signal input configurations controlled by JP1. Configuration A (JP1 set on A) has two
    single-ended inputs SIG. IN. (J1-2) and AUX. IN. (J1-1). Configuration B (JP1 set on B) has one single-ended
    input AUX. IN (J1-1) and one differential input DIFF. IN (J2-1), DIFF. RET. (J2-2). (Refer to Appendix B,
    drawing 370-3003). Typically when operating in the velocity mode, the input signal range is ±10 VDC. The
    input voltage is summed with a precision DC tachometer to provide accurate velocity control at the servo motor
    shaft (see fig. 3.1). The Signal Gain potentiometer RV2 (20 K), and Auxiliary Gain potentiometer RV1 (20 K),
    adjust the motor velocity desired for a given input voltage velocity command (see 4.2 for recommended wire
    type & size).

You might try this simple test.

HTH
    Thank you Tom. I had read that, and I confused that with an encoder input. So that makes sense now.
    Spank.

FWIW I believe what that sentence is describing is the control loop part (circled in red). The velocity command is the +- 10vdc input, and the velocity feedback is the tachometer.

Attachment 410294

Tachometer feedback (velocity loop) is rarely if ever used now, in favour of torque control etc drives. the velocity/tach drive requires dual tuning, first the inner/tach loop, then the outer PID loop.
    One reason you never see any DC motors sold with tach's anymore.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al, yes I realize this. We will see how it goes. If we have to swap out the amps we will.

Hey Greg,

Thanks for that. I was rereading this thread and I made the connection that you're the guy with the stone cutter on Youtube that I subscribed to a month or two ago. Awesome machine! Your videos are great. Keep them coming!

-Spank

Yes that's me. Thanks Spank! Going to be a while before any new CNC related videos... still have about 1.5' of snow on the ground.

No worries! I'm sure you'll make up for it later. Give those sweet doggies a pet for me.