584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Choice of steel for shafts

Choice of steel for shafts

Im on misumi pricing out some shafts that I need. These will be used on performance rc helicopters. Main shaft is 12mm hollow. Feathering shaft is 10mm with ends tapped for m6, tail shaft is 6mm. All 3 need good tolerance for bearing fit, main shaft will have a delrin slide bushing, tail shaft will have a brass slide bushing.
    Misumi gives options of 440c and 52100. Also option of chrome plating. Which steel is going to be best for this application? Rigidity is important. These are obviously flown outside but not in rain or anything like that. What are gonna be pros/cons of 440c vs 52100? 440c is much more expensive, but if it's that much better to use, I'll go with it. If it mostly just comes down to corrosion resistance, the 52100 can be plated, but from my understanding, it's much harder to hit a good tolerance for the bearings with plating. Thoughts?

Re: Choice of steel for shafts

52100 is a great choice for that application. I would choose that over the 440c -- especially if it's cheaper. The chrome plating contributes to corrosion resistance and also makes the bearing surface last longer. I'm guessing these parts are going to be run with some light oil and that very long running life (100's/1000's of hours) is not a big concern? If so, I would probably skip the plating.

Quote Originally Posted by StormForge View Post
    52100 is a great choice for that application. I would choose that over the 440c -- especially if it's cheaper. The chrome plating contributes to corrosion resistance and also makes the bearing surface last longer. I'm guessing these parts are going to be run with some light oil and that very long running life (100's/1000's of hours) is not a big concern? If so, I would probably skip the plating.
    Oh yeah, 52100 was like a fifth the price. These helicopters run for 5 minute flights. With an average flight count of maybe 100 between crashes, we're talking like 8 hours average running lifespan on these shafts. Sounds like 52100 without plating might be ok? Aside from price difference, it's also harder to hit a good bearing tolerance with the plating so I would prefer to not use it.