584,846 active members*
4,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BT/NT30 Spindle for 12Z Mill?

Hey Folks,

I purchased a 12Z from Gene back in 2007, and have been in the process of a CNC conversion over the past several years. I've just recently come into enough cash and motivation to complete the work, and am looking to replace the R8 spindle with the BT/NT30 version. Trouble is, these are not popping up through any vendors I can find, other than Charter Oak - who don't appear to be in business anymore. I'm assuming this as they don't respond to any forms of contact thus far.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone has such a spindle and is willing to part with it? Let me know! Thanks.

-Tulsah

Re: BT/NT30 Spindle for 12Z Mill?

Tormach sells a 30 taper spindle for their PCNC 1100-series mills. You might ask them if they will sell you one and provide enough dimensional data to see if it's a possible fit.

I also bought a 12Z from Gene. Bought it with the base stand, DRO, X Axis power feed.

It was mothballed for several years without being powered up.

In 2010 I bought a ranch with a good shop building and I slowly unpacked and installed all my machines.

In 2017 I stumbled upon an ad for 30 taper spindles for the 12Z - So I ordered one before trying to find one would be a fossil search.

I got it from Pat Obanion who was the owner of MachineToolsWarehouse.com the Canadian dealer of the 12Z and some smaller versions. MTW shutdown but Pat still had some new/old Stock. No ideal if any are left or if the email will still work.

Worth a try if your serious. Email would be "support at"MachineToolsWarehouse DOT com. Pat was prompt and gets a AAA+++

I ordered a X axis gib from Charter Oak a little before this and its paid for... but has not shown up and phones are useless.

OK - Now I feel really stupid as Pat's add was just farther down the list and I didn't recognize it. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/chart...-spindles.html

The strength of demand fails to bring these nt30 taper spindle to the market for all the various hobby mills.
    Its just as ridiculous as the articulating joints being placed so high on most hobby mill heads that leaves no travel once tilted.
    Its time for new blood and axe all these old designs, rongfu clones your time is now over.
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I did look at the Tormach spindle, but it doesn't appear compatible on the drive end. That, and they sell the entire cartridge as an assembly ... $$$

The spindles from Machine Tool Warehouse also showed up in the search. I followed some of the links and threads, and it appeared that the ones being offered were the last he had with no intention of importing more. I may need to contact him anyway and look into importing it for myself.

-Tulsah

I may have one laying around in box unused. let me see if I can find it.

I have found a source for BT30 spindles out of China. Prices are quite good (50USD), but the cost of shipping is prohibitive for a single unit. Anyone else interested?

I might be, how high was the shipping?
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

The prices I was quoted were as follows:

- BT30 Spindles @ $50USD each
    - Drawbar @ $10USD each
    - Freight to AB Canada @ $140USD

As you can see, a single spindle and drawbar isn't worht it at less than 50% of the cost of shipping. If there were enough interest, I'd be game to import several to help reduce the overall freight per unit. I'll also inquire with the vendor to see if freight to the USA is any cheaper.

I have confirmed that there is no appreciable difference in shipping costs between Canada and USA from China.

If this doesn't fly, I guess I'll keep the R8 and go TTS.

-Tulsah

I get metal parts from China all the time and it is less than that unless its really heavy.

I guess they are shipping it in a wood crate so its 60 pounds or so. You could ask the weight.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me any sort of contact at all as to where I can buy a replacement spindle?
    I am in Australia which means little to no spindle availability other than overseas. I was looking at the Tormach one but if the drive side isn't compatible with any common belts that is no good.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by j3dprints View Post
    Hi guys,

Can anyone give me any sort of contact at all as to where I can buy a replacement spindle?
    I am in Australia which means little to no spindle availability other than overseas. I was looking at the Tormach one but if the drive side isn't compatible with any common belts that is no good.

Thanks.
    Hi...
    You can try the factory directly. The girl's name is Miss Milly. At least it was last time i contacted them. They frequntly change contacts there.

Her email is...
    [email protected]

Regards,
    Pat

J3dPrints, I'm in Perth, be interested in sharing freight, I've got a HF 45, looking to go BT30.
    There are 10 types of people in the world
    Those of us who get binary, and those who don't.