585,715 active members*
4,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wireless network problem

I am having a problem with the wireless networking.
    I have had an 1100 for almost 4 years and have been using the wireless adapter for t least 3 years with no issues.
    I just recently bought a 770 and got that to work wirelessly...sort of! It will work for one, maybe 2 file transfers and then stop working.
    The 770 has good signal strength and has line of site 30 feet from the wireless router. It is running PP 2.1.6.
    I waited to get the 770 running and then decided to upgrade the 1100 to PP 2.1.6 and now I can't get the 1100 to connect to a network drive at all. The CAD/CAM computer doesn't see it at all.
    Anyone else having wireless network problems?

John

Re: Wireless network problem

I had problems with wireless networking on my mill (although I used an Amazon USB Special, not the Tormach adapter.)
    After I upgraded the house from crappy Netgear WiFi access points to Unifi AC Pro access points, it's been keeping the connection much better!
    WiFi in general is pretty finicky, but clearly the better radio design in the Unifi gear helps a lot. (If that hadn't worked, I'd probably have looked at running a wire to the garage ...)

Seeing as you now have three different computers with network issues I'm guessing it's an issue with your router, it probably needs a restart. But without any information on your network configuration it's hard to tell.

Since your machines are close together have you considered connecting everything with UTP Ethernet cables? There would be no signal strength or dropped connection issues that way. My machine is fairly near my design computer but in a separate metal frame building which prevents a reliable wifi connection. I dug a shallow trench between buildings and installed UTP in a PVC conduit. Problem gone and I get a true gigE connection to boot.

Endless options for endless reasons.

Your switch/hub/router is likely crappy, esp. if someone on the network runs P2P downloads.
    They (P2P, + youtube) tend to open huge nrs of sockets, and often the network gear will or may get saturated.

Modern practice of ISP snooping and proxies make the situation worse.
    Modern windows 10 makes the situation worse.

Isolate the network from the internet, use cables, only use 2 devices at once physically connected, trace where the problem comes from.
    Switch the router/hub/switch/access point.
    They are cheaper than your time.

More expensive is not better.

So I tried the easiest thing suggested first, I rebooted the router and it seems to be working, for now anyway. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before. It's what I do for almost any device problem. Computer, tablet, phone, anything. Wish there was a reboot for teenagers but that's another story!
    Thanks everyone for the suggestion and I will report back if I have further issues.

John

Don't forget that you can't have two machines running with the same name on a Samba network. PP defaults to:

Code:
     Hostname: tormachpcnc
      NetBIOS: TORMACHCNC
    Workgroup: WORKGROUP
    You need to modify these in order to have both machine running at the same time if you are using Samba - sounds like you are.

Also, ditch the WiFi and run some cat 5e cabling to your router.

In my experience it has not been a problem to run both my PCNC1100 & Slant-Pro on my home network. This network spans the house, barn, & workshop. I have plenty of traffic on this network without any issues. Just make sure your routers firewall is setup and you have changed the default admin login settings.