584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Troubleshooting New Glentek inverter issues.

Troubleshooting New Glentek inverter issues.

Back in December, our 1993 4020 Fadal went belly up and I started getting C axis overload errors on the control upon startup and the Baldor vector drive was throwing a DC Bus HIGH on the inverter. I went through the routine and checked all my fuses, tested the regen resistors for resistance, etc. Regen resistors read 7ohms in parallel. I came to the conclusion that my inverter had failed and ordered a new Glentek inverter. Upon install, spindle turns on and runs but when you hit M5, spindle coasts to a stop and I am getting a DC bus high code on the inverter and an inverter Fault Error on the control. I'm stumped on this one. Any idea's would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Troubleshooting New Glentek inverter issues.

Is the voltage going into the drive correct? 230-240v no higher? Also seem like low ohms on the resistor? But may be correct I dont remember. Is there a fuse in the drive for the regen circuit? Also if that was the only thing wrong with the baldor drive glentek sells a add on unit for breaking for about $400.

Sounds like you don't have it set for dynamic braking so the braking resistors are not turning on, or maybe the decel is set too short.

I don't have a Glentek manual, do you have a link to yours?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    Is the voltage going into the drive correct? 230-240v no higher? Also seem like low ohms on the resistor? But may be correct I dont remember. Is there a fuse in the drive for the regen circuit? Also if that was the only thing wrong with the baldor drive glentek sells a add on unit for breaking for about $400.
    The voltage is correct. I have two 13ohm regen resistors so it should ohm out to around half that. 7 Should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Sounds like you don't have it set for dynamic braking so the braking resistors are not turning on, or maybe the decel is set too short.

I don't have a Glentek manual, do you have a link to yours?
    This is the only manual I have:
    https://itscnc.com/images/Glentek%20...%20SMB9675.pdf

What I get from the manual is:

The mode switch needs to be set correctly.

The acceptable resistance of the regen resistors is 12 to 30 ohms. (appendix B-9) Connecting the resistors in series would work, or just use one of them. 7 ohms is too low of a value and may have taken out the fuse.

EDIT: Also see appendix C
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

What I get from the manual is:

The mode switch needs to be set correctly.

The acceptable resistance of the regen resistors is 12 to 30 ohms. (appendix B-9) Connecting the resistors in series would work, or just use one of them. 7 ohms is too low of a value and may have taken out the fuse.

EDIT: Also see appendix C
    Mode switch is set correctly to the specs of the machine I have.

I've read in other places that 6-7 ohms for the regen resistors in parallel is standard for the config of this machine. I attempted to wire them in series which gave me a total of 26 ohms and this did not solve my issue. Still getting DC Bus High on the inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer125 View Post
    Mode switch is set correctly to the specs of the machine I have.

I've read in other places that 6-7 ohms for the regen resistors in parallel is standard for the config of this machine. I attempted to wire them in series which gave me a total of 26 ohms and this did not solve my issue. Still getting DC Bus High on the inverter.
    Did you check the fuse? Should be a 10 amp slow blow
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Did you check the fuse? Should be a 10 amp slow blow
    I pulled the cover off the glentek and checked the 600v 10amp fuse...Which was good.

Then I think a call to Glentek on Monday morning is the best thing.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Destroyer125,

A high bus value can be from the input power to the inverter. The three phase input on L1, L2 and L3 should be 240 vac or less. If you are higher than this, then your bus voltage will raise and bleed current to the regens and will get them hot.

If the 10A fuse is good, reseat the cables inside the drive and try it again. If your voltage is good, then it is time for a new inverter. You cannot adjust the bus voltage. We can have them repaired for you if you can wait a couple of weeks or we can get you a new one off the shelf and out to you right away.

FadalCNC.com Tech Support
    208-888-9236

Quote Originally Posted by FadalCNC_Com View Post
    Destroyer125,

A high bus value can be from the input power to the inverter. The three phase input on L1, L2 and L3 should be 240 vac or less. If you are higher than this, then your bus voltage will raise and bleed current to the regens and will get them hot.

If the 10A fuse is good, reseat the cables inside the drive and try it again. If your voltage is good, then it is time for a new inverter. You cannot adjust the bus voltage. We can have them repaired for you if you can wait a couple of weeks or we can get you a new one off the shelf and out to you right away.

FadalCNC.com Tech Support
    208-888-9236
    I just installed this new Glentek Inverter. The inverter is not the issue unless I managed to get a faulty one and just happens to error out exactly like my old one. I also installed brand new regen resistors. I am getting reads of 241, 241, and 237 on the legs coming from the power. My question is does the drive tell the inverter anything about braking? Only things left to point a finger at is the motor and spindle control card.

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer125 View Post
    I just installed this new Glentek Inverter. The inverter is not the issue unless I managed to get a faulty one and just happens to error out exactly like my old one. I also installed brand new regen resistors. I am getting reads of 241, 241, and 237 on the legs coming from the power. My question is does the drive tell the inverter anything about braking? Only things left to point a finger at is the motor and spindle control card.
    The breaking turns on when the bus voltage goes above a set amount. Around 380vdc. Like I said I think the add on card from glentek will make your old drive work but you may need to replace your resistors with a differential value. The spindle card does not tell the drive how to brake that is set in the vfd parameters as the decel time.