584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Tool changer Slot assignment

Tool changer Slot assignment

My 4020 has a 21 tool changer on it, but my tool table allows 99 tools.

What if I have a job that uses a group of tools 28-35, can I assign any number to the tc slot such as saying this is slot 28 and let it increment from there?

My other machine lets me assign any tool in any slot, and it remembers it, but I have a feeling the Fadal is sequential only, which is still okay if it allows you to set the slot number besides 1.

Next, what if I want my 3D taster to be a non mounted tool, and I call it tool 99.
    Can I do that and just use MDI for setting the G43 H99 ? I don't want to use up a usable 1-21 tool number for it.

Re: Tool changer Slot assignment

That’s a good question I’d like to know the answer to as well. I leave a slot open for my 3d taster at all times that’s another tool I could have in the machine.

give it a try and report back. i have not tried to assign a tool other than #1 to begin the ordering.
    i have always used SETTO, which assigns #1 to the current tool.
    I may try this a well to see the other options...

I'm not at the shop right now but I will try it. It seems silly to have a tool table with 99 entries but only allow 1-21.
    I see no mention of parameters for SetTo in the manual but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

On the 3d taster as tool 99.
    So, I guess a person could put the tool in the spindle and then set the offsets for Tool 99 (H99), set that tool, zero on the fixture, then call tool 1. and all the offsets should adjust accordingly.

Need to try it.

Richard

No you only have SETTO which sets current location to tool 1. I usually use the extra tool H's and D's for things like programmable data inputs.. Like lets say your using tool 1 and the D1 for the tool is great at zero for 95% of the program using CRC but there might be a spot where i want the tool dia to be .01 to leave stock. i would use some thing like D51 and set it at .01....or use the G10 command to change the diameter of D1 to .01 just have to be sure to change it back to zero when the tool is done.... Or something like if you have a set of 5 tools you already have set and they are a common run i would use H31 to H35 instead of resetting the tools... unless you have them saved to a file then you can upload the 5 tool lengths H1-H5. etc. etc.