585,556 active members*
3,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

rebuilding a china machine

i have a 6090 cncest machine and I have upgraded it to with a planet cnc MK3DRV controller board. I have got it all running except i cannot figure out the ( stepsPer nuit ) the settings under motor drives ( microstrepping ) and ( current ). the motors are 57 mode, 3A two-phase motor. I have the microstepping set at 1/8 and the current 1.85 this will move the machine, but it is not right. i would like to hear from anybody who has upgraded there controller to the MK3DRV

Re: rebuilding a china machine

I don't have a direct answer for you but you can figure out what the correct number should be by jogging a specific distance (like 500mm) and measuring how far it actually went. Then you can adjust the steps per unit by the ratio of the two numbers. You might want to repeat a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by claudeb View Post
    i have a 6090 cncest machine and I have upgraded it to with a planet cnc MK3DRV controller board. I have got it all running except i cannot figure out the ( stepsPer nuit ) the settings under motor drives ( microstrepping ) and ( current ). the motors are 57 mode, 3A two-phase motor. I have the microstepping set at 1/8 and the current 1.85 this will move the machine, but it is not right. i would like to hear from anybody who has upgraded there controller to the MK3DRV
    I work in metric
    So. Take your stepper motors step count per rev (generally 200 so I'll base on this).
    Multiply that by your driver (1/8). Basically 1 motor to 8 driver. (which makes 1600 microsteps).
    Divide that by your ballscrew pich (based on a 5mm screw that's 1600/5 = 320).

So for a 200 rev motor on a 5mm screw at 1/8 microstep, that makes 320 steps per unit.

I think you can probarbly just then multiply that 320 by 25.4 to get a steps per inch which would be 8128 per inch.

Then fine tune from there.

the motors are 57 mode, 3A two-phase motor.
    If you steppers are rated tp 3A. you should have your drivers setup to deliver 3A. or as close as you can get. You will be sacrificing torque andwill be more prone to loosing steps, if you don't.
    You should also be running as high voltage as your steppers are rated for.

i think i have more problems than just setting my steps, because i set it up like that mentioned above with the motor drives set to 1/8 microstepping current set to 2.50 that is my max and Steps Per Unit set to 320 in the software i typed in for it to move 15mm and it moved almost 50mm then i typed in 15mm again with changing nothing and it moved right at 5mm, i kind of wonder if my MK3DRV board my be bad?

i think i have more problems than just setting my steps, because i set it up like that mentioned above with the motor drives set to 1/8 microstepping current set to 2.50 that is my max and Steps Per Unit set to 320 in the software i typed in for it to move 15mm and it moved almost 50mm then i typed in 15mm again with changing nothing and it moved right at 5mm, i kind of wonder if my MK3DRV board my be bad?
    it may not be bad you just need to adjust your steps according to dazp1976 post

For 1/8 microstep (1600) and 5mm pitch screw, try 1600 X 5.08 = 8128 steps per inch
    Gary Campbell CNC Technology & Training
    GCnC411 (at) gmail.com www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos