584,841 active members*
4,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 7 12345

Re: 4th axis touch probing

On Mach3, the Aux-1 port is mapped to "digitize" input. I can map the Aux-2 port to other inputs; but, I don't know how to link it with G31.1 or how the "digitize" input is linked to G31. Could it be hard coded in the software?

I am very happy that I switched to Mach4.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    The pin outs for the Aux-1 and Aux-2 ports are the same as those for the limit and homing sensors on the Plug and Play System. They match up with their Proximity Sensors: http://files.pepperl-fuchs.com/selec...088241_eng.pdf

I use the Aux 1 port for the NC probe and the Aux-2 port for NO probe. They are set to either active high or active low. One input goes to G31 probe and the other to G31.1 probe.
    So I am assuming 3&4 go to the probe because I only have two wires.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

On Mach3, the Aux-1 port is mapped to "digitize" input. I can map the Aux-2 port to other inputs; but, I don't know how to link it with G31.1 or how the "digitize" input is linked to G31. Could it be hard coded in the software?

I am very happy that I switched to Mach4.
    How easy was it to switch? I hate Mach 3. But I just got the rotary fully functioning recently. Are you able to use the same macros and setup from cncrp?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It took a bit of learning to switch; but, it wasn't bad. There is no direct conversion from Mach3 to Mach4. You use the same settings from CNCRP such as port, pins, motor settings, etc.; however, you have to manually input all settings and cannot use the Mach3 "ini" file. Also, the Mach3 macros do not work in Mach4. Mach4 uses LUA scripts, which I learned, and are continuing to learn. Mach4 has sample scripts include. Others, you can find online, and then customize to your needs.

Before I purchased Mach4. I tried the Demo version, Got everything working within a few days except for the CNCRP corner finding touch plate and getting the speed setting accurate on the spindle. I contacted Warp9 about the spindle issue. They were already working with CNCRP on this. In a few days, they had an updated ESS plugin that corrected the problem. I purchased Mach 4, and never used Mach3 again.

I put together a script to take care of the corner finding touch plate. I also purchase a tool setter touch probe that I have mounted at a fixed location. I wrote a script to automatically zero the tool at the machine bed. I also plan to create a similar script to zero the tool to the center axis of my 4th axis when I get that setup.

It took a bit of learning to switch; but, it wasn't bad. There is no direct conversion from Mach3 to Mach4. You use the same settings from CNCRP such as port, pins, motor settings, etc.; however, you have to manually input all settings and cannot use the Mach3 "ini" file. Also, the Mach3 macros do not work in Mach4. Mach4 uses LUA scripts, which I learned, and are continuing to learn. Mach4 has sample scripts include. Others, you can find online, and then customize to your needs.

Before I purchased Mach4. I tried the Demo version, Got everything working within a few days except for the CNCRP corner finding touch plate and getting the speed setting accurate on the spindle. I contacted Warp9 about the spindle issue. They were already working with CNCRP on this. In a few days, they had an updated ESS plugin that corrected the problem. I purchased Mach 4, and never used Mach3 again.

I put together a script to take care of the corner finding touch plate. I also purchase a tool setter touch probe that I have mounted at a fixed location. I wrote a script to automatically zero the tool at the machine bed. I also plan to create a similar script to zero the tool to the center axis of my 4th axis when I get that setup.
    That's awesome. I wish I had the time. Finding it hard to get the time to do things I need to with it as is. I've used lua in other applications before. It's been a while though. So I'll have to relearn. Use it or lose it.

Per the folks at CNC RP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CapturePlug.jpg  
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Per the folks at CNC RP
    Thank you!

The wildhorse one just came in. It's much larger than the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Made it. I believe there are little boards kicking around for inverting N/O to N/C though.
    Could you please provide the schematic you used, or the components? I have a bunch of npn transistors available. Pretty sure I could make it with that, but not sure how to connect because it's grounded for on and open for off. The wiring diagram in a previous post shows that the voltage pin isn't used. How did you provide power to the circuit?

If I could remember it I would... I'm guessing probe input to ground and tranny base, 10k (depends on the transistor, have a play or do the math and work it out) resistor on the base to 5V, emitter to ground, collector to the N/O input on the board.

Main input is closed, pulls base low, output is open circuit. Main input is open, pullup switches the tranny on, pulls the collector to 0 volts and triggers the BoB's input.

5V comes in my case out of the UC400-ETH ethernet interface, you can do it with 12V just work out a new resistor value. Want the impedance high enough that it doesn't chew too much juice when it's active but low enough that, when the input is open circuit, the current through the resistor is enough to drive the transistor into saturation after taking into account the voltage drop across base-emitter junction.

Going to try to get it working this weekend. Thanks

Before I go and break my aux1 input, I need to see if anyone can tell me what they plan on or did do with the ess input voltage for pins.
    On the warp9 page, they say that the input pins are 5v tolerant. The output for the signals is 12v from the plug n play kit. The voltage drop for the end stops is only 3v. The ess site says to never go above 5.5v Max.

Are there opto isolators or something else used for these inputs? If not, how is this working?

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeekseven View Post
    Before I go and break my aux1 input, I need to see if anyone can tell me what they plan on or did do with the ess input voltage for pins.
    On the warp9 page, they say that the input pins are 5v tolerant. The output for the signals is 12v from the plug n play kit. The voltage drop for the end stops is only 3v. The ess site says to never go above 5.5v Max.

Are there opto isolators or something else used for these inputs? If not, how is this working?

I guess I was thinking the Pins Sourced 5 volt through a resistor and wither it was grounded (closed ) or not determined if it was High or Low? My probe instructions lead me to believe that's the way it was. Its to darn cold here for me to go to the shop today, especially when I have almost got over my cold and sore throat and would like to keep warm. I would experiment and see how it worked before making a circuit. Depending on what I found, a small 5 volt dc relay might just do the trick or even a reed relay. Trial and error , or experimenting might solve the problem. .

From what I can see, without removing the boards, there are opto isolators all over the board. The traces are labeled, and it's spread out. need to test the voltage coming back when touching the plate. If it's 12v still, or close, then the optoisolator is used with the 5v on the other side. I'm betting that's the case, need to test it in the morning.

If any one is considering this for the CNC RP prewired Plug and Play box, do yourself a Big favor. Order the cables that already have plugs on each end and cut in half or where needed to wire into your probe. Why? The plugs have 4 solder connections in the area the size of a lead pencil eraser. I have a tiny soldering iron I have built lots of Heathkits with most using PCBs, Unable to find my very smallest tip I had to make do. Yes its soldered, but not a pretty sight!

No joy, I must of picked the wrong pins or something. Sometime maybe tomorrow or whenever, I will add wires to all the pins long enough so I can bring out and do some voltage readings. Sometimes I am wondering why I just don't pack it all up and move to NW Florida. Getting tired of the cold weather and snow,
    Did that a few years ago, sold off a bunch of shop stuff and then changed my mind. But this time my wife has a cousin in Pensa Cola.who I get along really well with. He wants me to move down.

The black wire is the 12v positive. The blue is the signal in, I think. But the opto isolators must be tied to the 5v running back to the board. I'm thinking I have enough room in the touch plate to put my inverter circuit inside. Then I can either splice the two together, or add another input on the touch plate with a pigtail.

I'm working towards getting detailed information together for this and other probe inputs. Or inputs all together. Anyway, after taking all the photos I could, testing everything I could without taking it apart completely, I have found most information needed to properly construct the input circuit.
    After reading up on optocouplers, the reliability of them over time would degrade like all things. So, to me, the use of the N/C input from the probe would eventually degrade the component faster than if N/O. So I'm doing the calculations based off the data sheets and resistors I can identify on the break out board from the ess. The essay has 5v tolerant inputs only. The break out has optocouplers that use the 12v signal wire (black wire) and the Ground(blue) as the input and that triggers the optocoupler to send the 5v signal to the ess. Ahren confirmed this for me.

I've decided to build the not gate to reverse the probe input to N/O instead of the touch plate to N/C. This should let the optocoupler that is used last as long as possible. If always left on, it will decrease the life of the component.

I'll post my setup as soon as I get it done. Should be before the end of the weekend. I just need to figure out the amperage I need to drive the optocoupler from 12v signal and have the npn transistor work from that same 12v. I'm thinking it should work fine and not be under powered because of the voltage drop by the transistor. We will find out soon though.

Optocoupler used: 2501
    Transistor used: 2n2222

Also, brown is 12v out. But so is black and I guess the other night be too. Have to check though. I'm not sure what the difference is, I guess you could power a circuit with the brown and ground and then use the 12v coming from the signal to pass through said circuit. I'm not familiar with industrial applications though. I tinker.

After making a not gate for my setup, I cannot get it to trigger correctly. I swear that when it was on the breadboard I was able to get it to work. I'm not sure if it's the length of the cable or what, but I cannot get this to work. I can get the signal to stay n/c and it works that way. I cannot get the inverter to work to allow both and even more inputs on the same probe port.

This is driving me crazy at this point. I got a schematic from this forum as well as the probe manufacturer. He sent the same one to me. The problem with it is that's it is only 5v tolerant. The BOB is 12v. I haven't found an inverter that is 12v tolerant. If anyone knows of one, please post it.

I would like to ultimately have the probe, touch plate and tool offset plate all attached at the same time. The probe input is the only one giving me problems because it's N/C. I can get the 2n2222 circuit to work fine with anything but the probe. Maybe the resistor values are wrong. There is a 1.2k surface mount resistor on the board going to the optocoupler. Maybe that is the issue. If anyone has added a probe without having to change the settings when using it, and with 12v or the cncrp plug n play setup, please chime in. I feel I've got a decent understanding of the inverter circuit, just not with the probe setup to the BOB.

Does your WildHorse probe have an LED? The LED may be allowing enough current to flow through the circuit to prevent it showing an open circuit.

Page 3 of 7 12345