585,771 active members*
4,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 7 4567

Re: 4th axis touch probing

There is much more code than I thought at first. You must have didn't some time in this. Now I wish I stayed home today. I won't stop thinking about trying this until I can.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah threw another couple hours at it yesterday - as well as the probe tips. But I'm happy with it now.

FWIW once I'd run this, I then jogged to just over my tool setter probe (the simple puck with the alligator clip) and ran a G31 Z-100 F20 which stopped on top of the puck. I took the -ve Z reading and set that as my gauge height. Now I can load a tool, run the auto tool length (whose macro was the basis for this!) and now Z=0 will put the tool tip on the A axis.

Just be careful - if you're like me and normally run Z=0 at the top of the workpiece, you'll need to remember that the "+ve Z = safe to travel" mindset will not work here.

if you're like me and normally run Z=0 at the top of the workpiece, you'll need to remember that the "+ve Z = safe to travel" mindset will not work here.
    Um ... why not? (I am assuming that +Z is still upwards.)
    Or are you thinking about sideways collisions?

Cheers
    Roger

Yep - normally I have Z touched off at the highest part of the workpiece, so any sideways move with Z not negative is safe - worst, it'll scratch as it kisses at z=0.

With this setup, Z = 0 at A axis, so sideways (well, Y front to back moves) will collide if Z < radius of the workpiece.

Obvious when it happens, and a warning against complacency of assuming Z safe heights instead of perhaps specifically setting them per setup.

Ah - A axis. Right!

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Yeah threw another couple hours at it yesterday - as well as the probe tips. But I'm happy with it now.

FWIW once I'd run this, I then jogged to just over my tool setter probe (the simple puck with the alligator clip) and ran a G31 Z-100 F20 which stopped on top of the puck. I took the -ve Z reading and set that as my gauge height. Now I can load a tool, run the auto tool length (whose macro was the basis for this!) and now Z=0 will put the tool tip on the A axis.

Just be careful - if you're like me and normally run Z=0 at the top of the workpiece, you'll need to remember that the "+ve Z = safe to travel" mindset will not work here.
    Sorry I was wrong. I actually never pressed ok, only hit enter on the keyboard after entering the diameter. It moves after hitting ok. Hitting enter closes the form and then nothing.

I started playing with this and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. When I call the macro I get prompted for the radius, I corrected this to say diameter in the code because it looks as though it divides the entered number by 2, I enter the number and press ok. Nothing happens, so I reset because I cannot move and the script never completes.

Is there a way to step through and debug in mach? I cannot figure out what is happening. Seems to run right up until the diameter is entered.

thank you for the help and any more you can provide.

Ok, I have your script working perfectly now. You reference the auto tool length macro in the post. Which one are you using? I am trying to find the one you mentioned, but I'm not sure which. So many that people post out there.

Apologies for the misleading prompt - it started as radius but then I realised I was doing the mental divide-by-two from what came off the micrometer and that there was a thing called a computer sitting in front of me capable of doing that complex math I just forgot to update the prompt.

What was causing the stall? I do find if I hit <Esc> on the keyboard instead of <Enter> from the MDI window to allow jogging instead of g-code entry, it can stall motion and cause all sorts of confusion.

Tool probe macro came with the machine. Essentially it's a G31 to current Z minus 100mm, could use the Approach routine for that. Then it backs off 5mm and sets Z to whatever is set as the gauge height + 5mm.

It didn't really stall or stop my controller. It just didn't do anything and I just got the reset button and started over. Not the full program. Didn't think of hitting escape. I'll try that. I know it works during the routine.
    My probing routine is from CNC router parts and sets zero. I'll look around for a tool probing routine. I'd like to add it to my m6.

Sorry, to be clear, my issue with no movement usually came from me having hit escape beforehand. It put it in some kind of panic no-movement state. Hitting it again clears that state from what I've seen but leaves things a little messed up if you've already started the macro.

My probe routine also sets z=0, it doesn't play with tool length offsets or anything like that. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of point in a machine without toolholders.

oh. I see now. Yes, hitting esc does do that, hitting enter did a similar thing. But, this morning I tried both to verify and this time enter actually worked. No idea how it had 2 different behaviors. It does not matter though, I just need to hit ok instead of any keys.

what does ve stand for?

I guess I was thinking that the touch off with the tool would set the touched tool length so that z0 would account for the difference. If I were using the table, when receiving an M6 it would move to my tool change position and wait until I ran my auto zero with the new tool and then go back to the next path.

Your script is great and I really thank you for helping with it. It makes me feel that I can at least actually know where my center is. Before, it was much more work when putting my 4th back on the table. I had the math written out so that I could just enter my numbers after attaching it and it was pretty good. But being able to verify the location after the math makes me more comfortable with it.

ve?

Happy to share - turns out I needed it myself last week so thank you for promoting me to write it up.

Agreed, makes thing a lot nicer and more comfortable putting the 4th into play!

In this context, I attempted to search and found nothing. You reference several times through the thread as well as in the code. I just do not know what it means.

"+ve Z = safe to travel"

Ah: shorthand for positive +ve, negative -ve etc.

sorry, im trying to figure out what ve is. You are obviously much more schooled in mach3 than I am. What does ve stand for? again, sorry I am such a noob.

Per my last post mate. Nothing to do with Mach3 and I'm a n00b there too. +ve, -ve are pretty common abbreviations where I've come from.

Ok. I just don't know what the abbreviation is for. It could be anything, vegetable elephants for all I know. Thanks for responding though.

I just told you twice man. Nothing to do with Mach, it's in a comments. "ve" is just the sound at the end of "positive" or "negative". +ve is shorthand for positive. -ve is shorthand for negative. "ve" doesn't appear on its own.

Your eyes and brain are stuck in the wrong gear now, that's happened to me enough times so I get it. Forget about it, it's just a comment. Come back and read this post again tomorrow after a break. Then have a look at the source code again. And you'll go "Oh. is that all?"

You're right. Over thinking it. I'll just think of it as positive and negative. It works and that's all I really need. Now that you've blatantly stated it 3 times, I get it.

I just told you twice man. Nothing to do with Mach, it's in a comments. "ve" is just the sound at the end of "positive" or "negative". +ve is shorthand for positive. -ve is shorthand for negative. "ve" doesn't appear on its own.

Your eyes and brain are stuck in the wrong gear now, that's happened to me enough times so I get it. Forget about it, it's just a comment. Come back and read this post again tomorrow after a break. Then have a look at the source code again. And you'll go "Oh. is that all?"
    I can't believe how stuck I was in that. Just needed to tell you that. It's weird how I could not get it and how incredibly simple and straight forward the 3 replies were. Every time I think about it I feel dumb now.

Page 6 of 7 4567