584,858 active members*
4,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Rapid Turn/Mill Switch Completed.

Rapid Turn/Mill Switch Completed.

Finally got serious and installed a switch to change between the Rapid Turn and the Mill without having to climb up and change power cables. The job was easy, just a four pole dbl throw toggle switch and some 14-4 cable to make new pig tails. I also have the Mill Fast switch to change the VFD keys. Everything works great. I also added a switch to allow me to reverse the RT's direction of rotation when wanted.

Now I just have to figure out how to program the RT. Found precious little useful help online. I tried to set G54 and discovered after so doing i could only move in the axis in the negative directions. Tried a search on this forum for Set Offsets +Rapid Turn and found nothing. I'll just hack my way through it. At least the thing works as I wanted.

Re: Rapid Turn/Mill Switch Completed.

Excellent! That is a great thing to have.

Do you power down the machine before switching? What is your switching process?

Re: Rapid Turn/Mill Switch Completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbkahuna View Post
    Excellent! That is a great thing to have.

Do you power down the machine before switching? What is your switching process?
    No, just e-stop, however my switch has a center off position and I pause there for a few seconds. I don't know if this helps or not, but like chicken soup, it can't hurt. Also I have to open the cabinet door to access the key switch. That probably matters none as I'm not aware of any switch for that door. So far, no blue smoke has escaped.

If time permits I'll attempt to post some photos.