585,761 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kurt Torque Handle

Anyone else using these? Just picked up a couple and made an adapter that will let me use them on the Tormach 5" vise. These things are slicker than butter! Would love to have one that allows for more torque. Right now the max is just under 280 Inch Pounds..

https://www.kurtworkholding.com/torq...le-p-1013.html
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Kurt Torque Handle

I use them at work. They are not made for high torque. Used for clamping repeatability at LOW torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Davez64 View Post
    I use them at work. They are not made for high torque. Used for clamping repeatability at LOW torque.

Hummmm - Me see's a new project!

I can see the value of these in a production setting for those of you operating businesses, but Kurt sure thinks a lot of them ($269) list price. For hobbyist or one off's seems like a standard torque wrench and socket would work as well?

But the real reason for my post, is I wouldn't have a clue what torque to set the thing on. Are there recommendations somewhere, maybe Mach. Handbook?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I can see the value of these in a production setting for those of you operating businesses, but Kurt sure thinks a lot of them ($269) list price. For hobbyist or one off's seems like a standard torque wrench and socket would work as well?

But the real reason for my post, is I wouldn't have a clue what torque to set the thing on. Are there recommendations somewhere, maybe Mach. Handbook?

Terry
    I got two brand new handles at auction for about half that! They were outstanding. I do a ton of Delrin in fixtures and torquing to the exact same setting is key. Will work for some of my aluminum parts but ones I torque above 280 IP it will not.

As for the exact torque settings, I've been trying to get an answer from the vise folks out there and cannot get a real straight answer. I think it varies from vise company to vise company. Kurt tells you the force applied at various torques but not what is max.

Found this for the DX6 Cross over. Wonder if 80 FB is the max.....?

Clamping Force Pounds
    Torque Ft. Lbs. Force Lbs.
    10 512
    20 1487
    30 2464
    40 3440
    50 4415
    60 5391
    70 6367
    80 7342

I can totally see the advantage, of being able to set a consistent holding torque when you are machining multiples, even if the exact torque which would be best is unknown, having the same value every time would at least let you adjust the machining to get good results. My technique is usually a "calibrated" lean into the handle. LoL

Great job finding a good deal at auction, nothing better than a nice score on price!

Terry

I use a inch pounds torque wrench and that only cost me about $40.00
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I use a inch pounds torque wrench and that only cost me about $40.00
    Yeah..... but you also still use Mach 3 !!!!! :-) :-) Ya know we love you!

I've been using the torque wrench for the past few years. This just makes it so much easier. I'm going to possibly look at making something that will allow me higher torque settings not that I've had a chance to look at these. Really surprised that Kurt does not expand on this line....

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Yeah..... but you also still use Mach 3 !!!!! :-) :-) Ya know we love you!

I've been using the torque wrench for the past few years. This just makes it so much easier. I'm going to possibly look at making something that will allow me higher torque settings not that I've had a chance to look at these. Really surprised that Kurt does not expand on this line....
    Yep, I still use Mach III. If it ain’t broke, why fix it?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

For the Kurt $269.00 asking price, I can buy 6 Craftsman inch pound torque wrenches and still have money for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    For the Kurt $269.00 asking price, I can buy 6 Craftsman inch pound torque wrenches and still have money for lunch.
    Wow, we have one for each vise at work, probably around 60 vises, ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Davez64 View Post
    Wow, we have one for each vise at work, probably around 60 vises, ouch!

Are they adjustable? If so, how?