584,833 active members*
5,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > NM510 "M6 overtime command fault ATC"

NM510 "M6 overtime command fault ATC"

This machine has a "Cam" type ATC system. Now and again the ATC fails to complete and has to be recovered manually by winding the ATC motor to get the arm back to home position. Doesn't always fail in the same part of the tool change either.
    Have checked inputs from tool pot sensors,spindle, tool change position. Have checked that the ATC motor brake is releasing. Have changed relays and contactors for the ATC motor run. The thought now is to perhaps swop with another machine the ATC motor, but thought I'd present this post incase someone recognises this problem or can offer some suggestion?

Re: NM510 "M6 overtime command fault ATC"

The way to find this is by using TRACE.

Trace can find intermittent issues by constant recording of any desired signal every 8 milliseconds.

Then viewing the Y-output to X-input time variance and comparing the failure event to a series of non-failures

I have attached a presentation of TRACE, for what I believe your control to be, as well as the most current Fanuc control (in case someone else needs the info.)

Use your electrical manual to decide which signals are monitored in the SAMPLING ADDRESSES
    Use the alarm number as the "STOP TRIGGER" for the trace.
    If monitoring over a LOOONNGG time, use SIGNAL TRANSITION as the trace format.
    If monitoring just tool changes...real quick...change...change...change..., then use TIME CYCLE

Last hint: Arrange your signals in a "CAUSE AND EFFECT" format
    Tool change cause and effect flow for a CAM style arm:
    1. M6 is given.
    1a. (ladder) Does X=Y (if the tool being call=the tool in the spindle...do nothing)
    2. (motion) Move to second reference
    3. (I/O) send tool binary information to Servo for magazine = Y-out in binary format followed by START command
    4. (I/O) X-in verifies position in binary followed by a VPF (verify position flag)
    4a. (ladder) Does X=Y (if not=alarm)
    6. (motion) Spindle orient
    7. (I/O) Y-out = Pot down
    7a. (I/O) X-in = pot NOT up
    7b. ...time
    7c. X-in = pot down
    8. (I/O) Y-out = Changer arm motor FWD
    8a. (I/O) X-in = Changer Arm Home Position NOT (CAHP.M turns to 0)
    8b. CAM rotation occurs up to 2 degrees before arm grabs tools
    8b1. (I/O) X-in SX (switch/proximity) for unclamp is seen
    8b1a.(I/O) Y-out is sent for unclamp cylinder solenoid
    8b1a1. (I/O) X-in for cylinder clamped (actually better name would be cylinder NOT UNCLAMPING) turns off
    8b1a2. ...time
    8b1a3. cylinder easily crosses airspace to touch the PUSHER to the top of the DRAWBAR
    8b1a4. Cylinder lifts to cross airspace between bottom FLANGE of cylinder and STOP RING of spindle
    8b1a5. Cylinder exerts real pressure to compress Belleville Washers, moving the drawbar to the clear area in the spindle core that lets the collet open
    8b1a6. (I/O) X-in for cylinder unclamped is seen
    8b2. ...tools swap places (Rotation and axial movement combined)
    8b3. (I/O) X-in SX (switch/proximity) for clamp is seen
    8b3a (I/O) Y-out is cancelled for unclamp cylinder solenoid
    ...with no hydraulic (or possibly pneumatic) pressure the Belleville Washers fling the unclamp piston upward
    8b3a1. (I/O) X-in for cylinder unclamped is removed
    ...the cylinder does apply Hyd/Pneu to cause the piston to lift, but the bellville's are the real force. piston lifts pusher across airspace and sets the flange back down
    8b3a2. (I/O) X-in for cylinder clamped (actually better name would be cylinder NOT UNCLAMPING) turns on
    8c. ...arm continues through rotation
    8c1. On SOME machines: an "approach" proximity switch is seen, causing the motor to reduce the CAM's speed
    8c2. CAHP.M is seen
    8c3. (I/O) Y-out = Changer arm motor FWD is turned off
    9. (I/O) Y-out = Pot down
    9a. (I/O) X-in = pot NOT down
    9b. ...time
    9c. X-in = pot up
    10. M6=finished
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Doosan Service Technician
    [email protected] O:973-618-2461 M:973-803-9479

Wow! I'm impressed!

it could also be the robo brake slipping

Hi Darryl
    Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to suggest a course of action regarding this Doosan NM510 fault. I shall be revisiting the customer next week, and although I am not familiar with the "Trace" tool I have seen it on the screen.
    I have been reading the suggested actions you post for some time and I have found them to be informative and well written. Your support is truely valued
    Thank you.
    Dave Hale (Machine tool rebuild and retrofit)

Quote Originally Posted by bmngator View Post
    it could also be the robo brake slipping
    I don't know what a "robo brake" is. (We have robo-couplings on our older ballscrews that work like a clutch with precise repositioning, but there isn't one of those on this machine.)

If you are saying that the brake disk on the geared motor that drives the cam wheel is slipping...then yes, that is a possibility.

Trace would see that as the correct tool change would land on CAHP.M and stay there.

If the failure is occurring due to geared motor brake slippage, then the end of the tool change prior to the one that fails would show that CAHP.M went low again (slipped past the prox switch while decelerating)

Note: I was going to attach a parts book section on the ATC, but the file is too large for the site to accept.
    Doosan Service Technician
    [email protected] O:973-618-2461 M:973-803-9479

I've had this problem before and it was simple the spindle unclamp / clamp switch (S11? if i remember) being sticky or needing adjustment. See the ladder, TCL.M was not going ON when the tool was unclamped, but by quickly manually cycling spindle clamp on/off on/off a few times without a tool in there, TCL.M would go green. Then it would stick a while after having a tool in it. Adjusting the switch fixed all. Have the ladder up when cycling the manual unclamp/clamp button and search for TCL.M / M69.