584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > what do other systems provide that arduino/GRBL so no

what do other systems provide that arduino/GRBL so no

SO I am wondering if anyone can tell me what I will not be getting by using arduino/GRBL vs something like G540 and MACH3?
    Thanks

Re: what do other systems provide that arduino/GRBL so no

You are comparing a USB controller (arduino) to a 4 axis driver (G540) parallel port controller (PC) and CNC PC software (Mach3)!

Arduino
    • Cheap
    • USB (Serial) connection simple to convert to WiFi or Bluetooth
    • Supported by GCode senders that run on windows 10
    • Supported by Fusion360 CAM processor
    • Can be connected to stepper motors using a cheap Arduino shields
    • Can be connected to stepper motors using external drivers Cheap TB600 or expensive G540

Mach3
    • Mach3 is cheap to start but depending on application could require a license to be usable
    • Mach3 parallel port not supported on Windows10 and most 64 bit older windows versions
    • Laptop not supported when using the parallel port
    • To use without the parallel port, Mach3 requires an external (not cheap to very expensive) USB or Ethernet controller
    • Supported by many CAM programs

• You could connect this G540 driver to the arduino and if you need 4 drivers go for an arduino mega GRBL version that supports 4 axis.
    • You could start cheap using an arduino and TB6600 drivers and learn a lot. After that you can decide for your self if you need more and what that would be.

Grbl supports all basic G-code commands but does not directly support some others.
    1. Grbl doesn't support canned cycles directly but some sender interfaces do.
    2. Grbl doesn't support cutter radius compensation
    3. Grbl doesn't support spindle synchronization (Needed for lathe threading and rigid tapping) There is a port of Grbl for the Mega that supports it for lathe threading, but not for rigid tapping.
    4. Grbl doesn't currently have any backlash compensation.

Having said that, Grbl is amazing for what it does do.I use it on my converted mill and it has performed flawlessly. It is stable and with CAM software readily available the drawbacks are minimized.

Some of the benefits of Grbl are (Not necessarily limited to Grbl machines):

1. Can be used with any stepper motor driver combo that a Mach3 parallel port system can be used on. This includes a G540.
    2. The firmware and sending programs are free
    3. Doesn't require a breakout board as the Arduino can be directly connected to the drivers/switches/etc. It can be used with a BOB if desired though.
    4. Senders are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android,etc.
    5. Can be set up with another Arduino for "headless" operation without a computer.
    6. Can be operated via bluetooth or wifi with minimal additional hardware.
    7. Arduino hardware clones are cheap (About $5 for an appropriate Arduino Uno clone)
    8. Can be used with shields for simplified connection for smaller machines not requiring high current/high voltage motor drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by hfjbuis View Post
    You are comparing a USB controller (arduino) to a 4 axis driver (G540) parallel port controller (PC) and CNC PC software (Mach3)!

Arduino
    • Cheap
    • USB (Serial) connection simple to convert to WiFi or Bluetooth
    • Supported by GCode senders that run on windows 10
    • Supported by Fusion360 CAM processor
    • Can be connected to stepper motors using a cheap Arduino shields
    • Can be connected to stepper motors using external drivers Cheap TB600 or expensive G540

Mach3
    • Mach3 is cheap to start but depending on application could require a license to be usable
    • Mach3 parallel port not supported on Windows10 and most 64 bit older windows versions
    • Laptop not supported when using the parallel port
    • To use without the parallel port, Mach3 requires an external (not cheap to very expensive) USB or Ethernet controller
    • Supported by many CAM programs

• You could connect this G540 driver to the arduino and if you need 4 drivers go for an arduino mega GRBL version that supports 4 axis.
    • You could start cheap using an arduino and TB6600 drivers and learn a lot. After that you can decide for your self if you need more and what that would be.
    Looking at the GRBL WIKI pages I dont see any reference to GRBL support of the mega supporting 4 axis. Where do I find that? Thanks

Google "GRBL 4 Axis" and you find a lot of 4 axis versions *arduino mega) like this one https://github.com/gnea/grbl-Mega/pull/21

You have to be cautious because of the many github projects that are started and either never finished, or the owner of the fork has lost interest and no longer provides bug support. Here are 2 4-axis forks that I have done some bench testing on. The appear to work well, but I haven't finished my 4th axis, so can't vouch for real life operation. I looked at many others and found several with major issues.

https://github.com/LETARTARE/grblQ-Mega-4axes

https://github.com/dguerizec/grbl-Mega-4axis

Thanks

I saw that I inadvertently had the same link twice in my previous post. I edited the second link to point to the othe 4axis grbl I tested.

There is a port of GRBL to STM2F103, up to 6 axes.
    Step frequency over 30 kHz.

https://github.com/MoonCactus/grbl-STM32F103
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

what do other systems provide that arduino/GRBL so no

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    There is a port of GRBL to STM2F103, up to 6 axes.
    Step frequency over 30 kHz.

https://github.com/MoonCactus/grbl-STM32F103
    That repository hasn’t been updated in awhile. This one is based on the same code base but has been updated with several bug fixes. Compiled with no problems using TrueStudio. Coocox is no longer active.

Step frequency is much higher at about 95khz.

https://github.com/yaroslavVl/6-AXIS-USBCNC-GRBL

The collection of github pages that make up the grbl project and forks/senders/mods brings to mind the herding of cats.
    It's like a maze of information in need of an index or roadmap.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Lots of grbl forks but you have to ignore all that are older than the 1.1f codebase. The main grbl is now at 1.1g. The g version is just very minor updates.

If the maintainer of the fork hasn’t updated to atleast 1.1f, then I consider it abandoned.

There are only a handful of grbl forks that are actively maintained. Look the at last time a commit was made.

[/QUOTE]

Hi, How to setup grbl for 4 linear axis, let's say I would like to run cnc router gentry with 2 stepper motors with 2 homing switches on y and v axis as a slave, to auto square the gentry at the beginning or end of every session. any info will be a great help.