584,805 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spline Machining

I've produced a curve using a spline in Solidworks and used SolidCam to machine the profile.
    When machining the spline i noticed that that the machine "jerked" along the path; I use LinuxCNC
    Looking at the gcode i noticed that inbetween arcs of large radii aroud 1000mm the code had very short segments of radii of 10mm or so.
    I presumed the jerkiness was down to decellerations and accelerations to deal with these short radii.
    The splines are longer than the distance between the jerks and therefore doesn't seem to be a funcrion of the spline generation.
    Attached is a copy of the model and the code generated. Don't seem to be able to upload the Solidworks file - help!
    I could live with that but i sometimes get a message on LinuxCNC, "Failed to genereate circle __ error code 0,0,0,-1" which stops the machining.
    Sometimes i play around with offsets and it works OK; but not always.
    SolidCam simulates it OK but LinuxCNC won't drive the path.
    I'm going to post the problem on a LinuxCNC forum as i believe the problem may reside there but i'm intereted in why Solidcam produces these very short small radii.
    I'don't understand why it doesn't just transit from onr large radius to another; as in some cases it does.
    I read somewhere that G64 might help but i haven't trie this yet.

Re: Spline Machining

I can't be too much help here, but I've experienced this in the past with machining, knife cutting, and file exporting. It sounds to me like you may have some option turned with arc interpolation or with treating splines as lines. I would try looking through general options for something along those lines and change the option.

There should be some sort of smoothing option I’d think fusion has one

Just for tryout, try to make a toolpath with tool on center of spline if its better without jerkyng.
    I had similar problem with Sinumerik and Solidcam, then I tryed to put tool on center of the curve and it didnt jerk.
    Than I tryed tool radius compensation with G41 and it didnt jerk either. But for some reason I cant get tool radius compensation on roughing toolpath and the roughing still jerks.