584,874 active members*
5,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cincinnati arrow setting z height

Cincinnati arrow setting z height

Hello I'm setting up a new to me arrow 1000 with acramatic2100 control.

When setting spindle tram for then setting tool lengths how does the machine know where the top of the table is? Say I set tram with a 6in z setter but there is no input for z setter height??? Is the number referenced/calibrated from limit switch during alignment?

You manually set the Tram using the Pendant at whatever height you want to set tools off from.

I believe it is under Tool Setup, then press "set tram" (you may have to press "more on pendant for "set tram" to be visible).

Re: Cincinnati arrow setting z height

There are settings you can change to calibrate how to machine knows EXACTLY where it is on the Z axis. However, tool lengths and Z height are all references. If you set the Spindle tram with a 6in gauge block(even though the machine may say 6.125 for actual height), then set all your tools off that 6in gauge block as well. The machine will know how long the tools are as you used the same reference point. Spindle touches tram surface, zeroes out, tool touches tram surface, machine sees difference in Z position between spind touch and tool touch, and it gets it tool length.

With that being said. I do not have a 6in gauge block. The tallest I have is 4in. The absolute lowest my Z axis will go is to 6.150". I do not want to make that my tram position as then I have to touch off my tools to a Jenga tower of gauge blocks. I like to use the shortest gauge blocks I can. What I did, was I went into the Probing menu and changed my Tram surface to 0.000". This way the machine sees the table as Tram. Now when I touch off tools to the table, I can use what ever gauge block I want (1in, 2in, 3in), then I can easily subtract that 1in, 2in, or 3 in from my tool length dimension. So for drills in a drill chuck I can use a 1in block, then why I touch off a fly cutter, I can use the 3in block. Now this only works if your machine is calibrated to the table correctly. When you set Tram, you should be able to see the machine Z dimension and it should match the gauge blocks you are using to set Tram. Once those match, then you can set table as Tram position. If you just set table as tram position and your Z axis is off at all, you are losing your Spindle reference that I was talking about in the paragraph above as you are assuming Spindle will be exactly at table dimension is table were Tram, but in reality it could be .020" or even .100" off if not calibrated correctly, then when you set your tools, they too will be incorrectly measured. I hope this all makes sense? This is how I have my machine set up and works for me, this may not work for you however.

Okay so tram height is only for tool lengths reference easy enough. How then do I ensure my machine table zero is set correctly? And if not how do I recalibrate it? I cannot find this anywhere in the manual.

When I set tram on a gauge block of 6in .y tram height is +6.0087 which leads me to think its off???

Thanks for the replies

Sent you a PM.