584,817 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )

Have lathe and steel... these are the fun projects for me !

well, this isnt the boss .. its a V2E3 i picked up a little while back.. the outfit i purchased it from stripped the controls and converted it back to a manual machine... anyway its on the burner to be converted back to CNC after the boss. I dropped by the dealer i purchased the mill from on some other business and was able to pick up the back and side cabinets.. so i spent a couple hours stripping the old electronicals out... anyone need any parts LMK as ill be listing all the old stuff on ebay.. I have all the boards, transformers, drivers, etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190207_170046.jpg   20190207_170053.jpg  

Some of the new gear is showing up.. bought the mesa 7I77 board and picked up a couple DMM servos so hopefully i can start working on this stuff once i have all four cabs gutted.. ill haul off the 2 larger side cabs to the scrapper and just keep the smaller back cabinets... maybe ill get lucky and find something even smaller in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    well, this isnt the boss .. its a V2E3 i picked up a little while back.. the outfit i purchased it from stripped the controls and converted it back to a manual machine... anyway its on the burner to be converted back to CNC after the boss. I dropped by the dealer i purchased the mill from on some other business and was able to pick up the back and side cabinets.. so i spent a couple hours stripping the old electronicals out... anyone need any parts LMK as ill be listing all the old stuff on ebay.. I have all the boards, transformers, drivers, etc
    Basically no difference between them all the mechanical part are the same, just a different name and some electrical and control differences, it's all in the numbers stamped on the top of the knee, the telling part is also the timing pulley ratio for the axes drives

Good find to get the electrical cabinet that will give you plenty of room to up grade it
    Mactec54

I did the motor swap to nema 40's had to make shaft adapters. Built a 70v power supply and using gecko G201x drives. My Boss 5 has 2 to 1 reduction on the lead screws. I kept the travel dials they help in calibrating mach3. Has the Kwik Switch 200 spindle tooling can be hard to get at reasonable prices. Them beasts are one stout machines.

Quote Originally Posted by machinejack View Post
    I did the motor swap to nema 40's had to make shaft adapters. Built a 70v power supply and using gecko G201x drives. My Boss 5 has 2 to 1 reduction on the lead screws. I kept the travel dials they help in calibrating mach3. Has the Kwik Switch 200 spindle tooling can be hard to get at reasonable prices. Them beasts are one stout machines.
    Boss 5 did not come with 2:1, only 1:1, did you change them, if you did not then you have a Boss 6 which came standard with 2:1 your machine # will tell you what you have

The travel dials are of no use if you are doing a modern retro
    Mactec54

Made some serious progress on removing the old controls from the Bridgeport. i was going to strip out the cabinet and save the transformers and other electronicals, but, i feel like it will take me another half day to complete. So, off to the scrapper they go ! Now to decide if i will move the rear cabinet to the side. It will be easier to access the electronics but i will have to cut the cabinet and reweld the lower mounting bracket. I wont be able to do any serious work till next saturday so i have a week to decide..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190209_123047.jpg   20190209_141052.jpg  

Was told it was a boss 5 when I bought it. I made no changes to it other that replace the motors and controls. has a serial number stamped on the ways of "CNC 4208" will this tell us more about it?
    Jack

Its newer than mine.. i have 1804 and 1 to 1 pulleys hey Machine Jack.. how bout some pics !!!

Hay I'm at the age that I am lucky to be able to answer the telephone the first button push. I think I have an old Kodak laying around somewhere. I do have a small camera but posting the pictures may be a challenge. Will see what turns up. What cam system will you be using? I was using an old Mastercam X4 that the boss donated to me when they upgraded when I was still drawing a pay check. Recently my engineer son fixed me up with a seat from where he works and I now sport MC 2017 now that is a big relearning curve. I tried Auto Cad Fusion but found it to complicated so I'm sticking with MC. Trying to grasp solid modeling as I want to be able to machine patterns for my metal casting interest.

Was told it was a boss 5 when I bought it. I made no changes to it other that replace the motors and controls. has a serial number stamped on the ways of "CNC 4208" will this tell us more about it?
    Jack
    Boss6 was the start of 2:1 ratios, they still look like a Boss5 just a few upgrades that they had that where different mostly electrical, so could of been called any of the Boss range up until they went to servos
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Boss6 was the start of 2:1 ratios, they still look like a Boss5 just a few upgrades that they had that where different mostly electrical, so could of been called any of the Boss range up until they went to servos
    Mactec would love to see more pictures of that beautiful machine... id like to get a good one to make my computer background !!

Hay I'm at the age that I am lucky to be able to answer the telephone the first button push. I think I have an old Kodak laying around somewhere. I do have a small camera but posting the pictures may be a challenge. Will see what turns up. What cam system will you be using? I was using an old Mastercam X4 that the boss donated to me when they upgraded when I was still drawing a pay check. Recently my engineer son fixed me up with a seat from where he works and I now sport MC 2017 now that is a big relearning curve. I tried Auto Cad Fusion but found it to complicated so I'm sticking with MC. Trying to grasp solid modeling as I want to be able to machine patterns for my metal casting interest.

Jack will be using Fusion 360 hoping to get some help from my son's college crew

guys, its been awhile but im getting back on track with this project... its taken a couple of turns however, current config is centroid acorn and DMM 1.3Kw servos... just waiting for the backboard for the electronics to be cut... i tossed the original cabinets in favor for a later model cabinet ( single cabinet to hang off the side of the machine )

would love to get some input on motor speed control... keep the original pneumatic s ? switch out to vfd ? anyone with ideas on spindle speed tach ?

here is my latest video on the build.. showing the electronics and servo selection

https://youtu.be/wb17OQ_jQVc

guys, its been awhile but im getting back on track with this project... its taken a couple of turns however, current config is centroid acorn and DMM 1.3Kw servos... just waiting for the backboard for the electronics to be cut... i tossed the original cabinets in favor for a later model cabinet ( single cabinet to hang off the side of the machine )

would love to get some input on motor speed control... keep the original pneumatic s ? switch out to vfd ? anyone with ideas on spindle speed tach ?

here is my latest video on the build.. showing the electronics and servo selection

https://youtu.be/wb17OQ_jQVc
    Spindle Encoder like this worked very well I'm not sure what head you have
    Mactec54

not the first time i saw that photo.. ( beautiful i may add )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191125_171213.jpg   20191125_171225.jpg  

not the first time i saw that photo.. ( beautiful i may add )
    You have the same head my builds had a lot of parts removed and used direct drive, the head is roughly 5" shorter than your one
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Are yes, so you will have to make the adapter plates for the 750w motors this will require also a motor shaft extension or a pulley that has an offset boss
    Depending on what you plan to do with the stock steppers, you can take the mounting plates from them and reuse with the new servos....just needs the new hole pattern.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by tar356 View Post
    Depending on what you plan to do with the stock steppers, you can take the mounting plates from them and reuse with the new servos....just needs the new hole pattern.

Todd
    Most of the motors that where on these machines did not have mounting plates they where direct mounted
    Mactec54

Mactec, Todd, i ended up purchasing nema 42 servos with the correct mounting pattern and shaft size .. this will be a " direct fit " replacement. I just needed to get the project moving.. i previously purchased nema 34's for this machine so i will save them for the next build... at least i can use the boss to cut the adapters !!

Joe

Page 2 of 3 123