585,690 active members*
4,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )

Hi guys,

Think i have gathered enough information to throw this post out there.. Picked up a 3 axis tilty head Boss ( will be delivered tomorrow... so pics will follow ) after reading and re reading many of the excellent threads here i feel like i have decided on my upgrade path. First, i want to say that there are more than a few talented people here and i am inspired to up my game after seeing some of the things you have built and designed. and i want to thank you all ALREADY for all the info that i have absorbed ( or at least i think i have absorbed )

im intimidated on keeping the original servos .. ( im not that good at electronics and the power supply kinda freaks me out ) not to mention all the wiring. )

so here goes

Bridgeport Boss 3 axis Mill
    Linux CNC
    Mesa Cards 5 axis ( still on the fence on pci or network )
    DMM Servos

hoping to have power lube / fog buster / tool height / draw bar automated

Looking forward to having you all along for the ride !

Joe

Re: ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )

Machine is here !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190126_132344.jpg  

here is one of the motors... there are no external tags with model numbers etc on them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190126_132403.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    here is one of the motors... there are no external tags with model numbers etc on them
    They are steppers, looks like a well looked after Boss 5
    Mactec54

just pulled off the y axis stepper... reached out to DMM to see what they would recommend

any reason to try and keep the y axis lock and the travel dial ?

just pulled off the y axis stepper... reached out to DMM to see what they would recommend

any reason to try and keep the y axis lock and the travel dial ?
    750W if you are going with the DMM, is your timing pulleys 1:1 or 2:1
    Mactec54

would you guys know if these are steppers or servos ? and what voltage / amps / and how they are wired ? maybe i can keep them and just install new drivers there are what looks like hour meters on the motor housings the x has 700 and the y has 800 wonder if thats all the time this machine has seen.. ways are exceptional

This would be a good place to start https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridg...ko-keling.html
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That machine has steppers, it looks like a almost new machine, very clean

Quote Originally Posted by Jonp View Post
    That machine has steppers, it looks like a almost new machine, very clean
    thanks Jon! Yes, I think it just sat. No one knew how it operated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    This would be a good place to start https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridg...ko-keling.html
    Thanks Jim!

Mactec, would you make this out of steel or aluminum?

Mactec, would you make this out of steel or aluminum?
    Most I have done them in 12L14 I think the Y axes is the only one you have to do this way I would not be sure though, some have brought a new aluminum pulley with a boss on it that can make up for the needed extra length, this is about the same amount of work as modifying the original pulley, the adapter mounting plate 3/8 minimum thickness
    Mactec54

Have lathe and steel... these are the fun projects for me !

well, this isnt the boss .. its a V2E3 i picked up a little while back.. the outfit i purchased it from stripped the controls and converted it back to a manual machine... anyway its on the burner to be converted back to CNC after the boss. I dropped by the dealer i purchased the mill from on some other business and was able to pick up the back and side cabinets.. so i spent a couple hours stripping the old electronicals out... anyone need any parts LMK as ill be listing all the old stuff on ebay.. I have all the boards, transformers, drivers, etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190207_170046.jpg   20190207_170053.jpg  

well, this isnt the boss .. its a V2E3 i picked up a little while back.. the outfit i purchased it from stripped the controls and converted it back to a manual machine... anyway its on the burner to be converted back to CNC after the boss. I dropped by the dealer i purchased the mill from on some other business and was able to pick up the back and side cabinets.. so i spent a couple hours stripping the old electronicals out... anyone need any parts LMK as ill be listing all the old stuff on ebay.. I have all the boards, transformers, drivers, etc
    Basically no difference between them all the mechanical part are the same, just a different name and some electrical and control differences, it's all in the numbers stamped on the top of the knee, the telling part is also the timing pulley ratio for the axes drives

Good find to get the electrical cabinet that will give you plenty of room to up grade it
    Mactec54

Some of the new gear is showing up.. bought the mesa 7I77 board and picked up a couple DMM servos so hopefully i can start working on this stuff once i have all four cabs gutted.. ill haul off the 2 larger side cabs to the scrapper and just keep the smaller back cabinets... maybe ill get lucky and find something even smaller in the meantime.

I did the motor swap to nema 40's had to make shaft adapters. Built a 70v power supply and using gecko G201x drives. My Boss 5 has 2 to 1 reduction on the lead screws. I kept the travel dials they help in calibrating mach3. Has the Kwik Switch 200 spindle tooling can be hard to get at reasonable prices. Them beasts are one stout machines.

Quote Originally Posted by machinejack View Post
    I did the motor swap to nema 40's had to make shaft adapters. Built a 70v power supply and using gecko G201x drives. My Boss 5 has 2 to 1 reduction on the lead screws. I kept the travel dials they help in calibrating mach3. Has the Kwik Switch 200 spindle tooling can be hard to get at reasonable prices. Them beasts are one stout machines.
    Boss 5 did not come with 2:1, only 1:1, did you change them, if you did not then you have a Boss 6 which came standard with 2:1 your machine # will tell you what you have

The travel dials are of no use if you are doing a modern retro
    Mactec54

Was told it was a boss 5 when I bought it. I made no changes to it other that replace the motors and controls. has a serial number stamped on the ways of "CNC 4208" will this tell us more about it?
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12