584,842 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Other Manufacturing Processes > Digital Fiber Optic Sensors and CNC Routing

Digital Fiber Optic Sensors and CNC Routing

First post here, so bare with me. Let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for this topic.

I'm relatively new to CNC routers, been working with an older MultiCAM router for a few months now. Not sure what model it is, but has a 60x144 vacuum router bed and an 8 tool changer. We are a small custom fabrication shop so we aren't running the router every day, and typically for just a few parts. A few days ago I found out it has a Digital Fiber Optic Sensor attached. It was just taped onto the top of the spindle motor, not doing anything apparently.
    So I read up of the specific model that it is, Keyence FS-V11P, to find out what it can do. My understanding is that it is used to sense whether there is an object present. Is that all? How would you utilize that input in a CNC router operation? The only things I can think of is collision detection and work piece detection. Having a sensor that tells me if there is material present seems useless though, since I have eyes. My boss was wondering if it could be used for 3D scanning, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that kind of capability. Am I wrong?

I'm sure there must be some interesting and clever uses of this kind of sensor. What things have you seen them used for, or how would you utilize it?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Digital Fiber Optic Sensors and CNC Routing

This is best forum you get. You'll get help from expert. So wait for the expert reply