585,752 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Suggestions for a system upgrade? (Rigid tapping, Analog servo drive)

Suggestions for a system upgrade? (Rigid tapping, Analog servo drive)

I've got a little project where I am upgrading a very old 90's machine into a new system.
    I think I understand how the systems works. It has two DC micromotor servos and needs to drive 2 axis (synchronised, I am not sure how this is achieved). There are two interface cards, one(assume its a digital to analog converter) connects to a PCB and provides the setpoint that goes into the amplifiers and provides tacho feedback for speed regulation. The other board provides the analogue output.
    As far as programming goes I need it to be able to do rigid tapping and to develop my own gui. Cost is not an issue.

I am looking into Galil which looks very good. Any suggestions on what hardware from Galil and software should I research on? Also, any other hardware and software suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you

Re: Suggestions for a system upgrade? (Rigid tapping, Analog servo drive)

A little more information about the machine would be helpful. Mill? Lathe? Make?

Galil is a good choice but off-the-shelf software options are limited, but since you want to develop your own GUI there is no problem. The Galil API plays well with the .net development platform. My machines are controlled by Galil products and my software. Also look at Centroid products.

For Galil, the 40x0, or 18x6 are the two prefered product lines. Both work well for rigid tapping as they have electronic gearing capability built in.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you,

I wonder how will my tachometer feedback for speed regulation will be controlled or needed if I was to get the 40x0. I will into Centroid products from a brief look they are pretty good.

Thank you,

I wonder how will my tachometer feedback for speed regulation will be controlled or needed if I was to get the 40x0. I will into Centroid products from a brief look they are pretty good.

Re: Suggestions for a system upgrade? (Rigid tapping, Analog servo drive)

The tach feedback goes to the drive, not to the controller. You would need an encoder on the motors, there are proabaly encoders already on the motors or lead screws. Please tell me what machine this is. Maybe some pictures
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Apologies for being idle for so long I had something urgent to work on. The machine is used to perform relief measurements on taps. My question is if I get the 40x0 this would replace my servo drive control and would this replace the need of an interface card ? Or do I need a pci or pcie card from Galil to interface ?