585,759 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > MX-45 VAE U100M Possible to add Tool Break Detection probe or Tool Length probe?

MX-45 VAE U100M Possible to add Tool Break Detection probe or Tool Length probe?

So I saw a post where a guy added a simple switch to test to see if there was a tool breakage:
    https://hackernoon.com/if-youve-got-...n-8da7d249825f

Would it be possible to add something like this to the MX-45 VAE with OSP U100M? I see the U100M has tool breakage detection built in, but not sure how to take adva?ntage of this.

More advanced....is it possible to put a tool length probe? I assume this would essentially mean a much much more precise switch that you can then calculate the length once pressed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: MX-45 VAE U100M Possible to add Tool Break Detection probe or Tool Length probe?

hello

a guy added a simple switch
    that is a simple device, conected to the extra M codes, and the cnc simply waits for the return signal; i don't have experience with extra M codes, but this should be possible for your machine

has tool breakage detection built in, but not sure how to take advantage of this
    i don't know for u100m, but on newer machines, there is the measuring cycle, CALL OO30, that will measure the tools; it can also detect if a tool is broken, by chaning it's behaviour via a selection flag ( VFST ); in other words, if you have allready have a measuring cycle, then it may be possible to :
    ... change it to detect broken tools
    ... write a soubroutine, that will execute the default measuring cycle, and compare the result "after" with the result "before"; this requires reading the actual offset via a system variable

More advanced....is it possible to put a tool length probe?
    hmm, again, i don't know for your machine, but such a device may came with default cycles that should help you detect the broken tools; there are different products, and different vendors, and sometimes compatibility stuff may appear; contact your okuma dealer, renishaw, or blum, or fanuc, etc, and ask if they have such equipment for your machine

try to go for a test 1st, on your machine, and perhaps is not ok to take decisions if you see the device working on a similar machine / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: MX-45 VAE U100M Possible to add Tool Break Detection probe or Tool Length probe?

OK thank you. I'm looking at my wiring diagram and on FUB-P4M4 input/output card, there are 8 spots for "External M Code" (1-8). I suppose this is where the input would connect. I'll look at CALL OO30 (I'm pretty sure it is on U100M), and see how it interacts with the external M inputs.

I'm not sure I'm reading the wiring diagram properly. The External M Codes on FUB-P4M4 say they are for output. I don't see anywhere suggesting an input M, which is what I assume I would need to read if my tool check circuit is open or closed.

Attached is the diagram
    Attached Files Attached Files