584,849 active members*
4,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sieg iKX3L X Axis adjustment - not holding accuracy

Sieg iKX3L X Axis adjustment - not holding accuracy

Hi Guys,

I recently acquired a new very expensive new toy .. a Sieg iKX3L VMC.

All has been going well, except for the fact that I CANNOT get it to hold is so called repositioning accuracy of 0.010mm .
    Each day after I reference, when I go back to my cuts they are almost 0.080 out of alignment from the previous day.. sometimes even more!

It's chinese new year holiday over there now, but is there some adjustment to the X axis or bed to correct this? I can't seem to figure it out.. I've had the mill for 4 days now, and it has been out for 2 of them back to back.

Controller is an 808D
    Any help greatly appreciated

Re: Sieg iKX3L X Axis adjustment - not holding accuracy

I've just put a dial gauge on the bed, and I can move it about 0.020mm in one direction and about 0.010 in the other , by just grabbing it by hand..now im really confused.

This machine has linear rails and servos so there are no gibs to adjust /tighten.

What sort of movement is acceptable in the bed??

With the accuracy of 0.010 mm and a re-positioning of 0.005 mm not much. If you can move it that total of 0.030 mm it is out of specs. What are the drive mechanisms (ball-screw?); is this the same for X and Y?

How are the motors connected to the drive mechanisms - straight coupler or a belt and pulley system? Check these are not loose. If this is using a ball screw assembly, check the ball nut is not loose.

straight couplers on the motors. Yes the same for both X and Y , will check the ball screw nuts. Really shouldn't be that far out . Specs for this machine are Repeatable accuracy of 0.005 , and repositioning accuracy of 0.010.. something doesn't seem right

If you can push/pull the bed by hand then I'd say:
    1: Check the ballnut mounting is firmly attached to the table/nut and not loose.
    2: Bearing pre-load in the table/motor mountings. Are they loose causing the ballscrew to slip.

Other than that I've no idea but it sounds like something is loose or defective either at the nut or the mounting bearings.