584,829 active members*
5,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Laser Advice

Laser Advice

Hello,

This is my first post so please excuse the basic questions.

I need to cut two types of materials so they can be different technologies if needed.

1st is to cut acrylic 3mm - 5mm thickness
    cutting bed needs to be around A3-A1 (min requirement)
    I have looked at normal plotter lazer for this task

2nd is to cut paper/card/glitter (80gsm-400gsm)
    cutting bed needed for A4 (min requirement)
    I have looked as galvo laser for this task

I am based in UK

I am looking for the equivalent of trotech and epilog from cheaper manufacturers as the high end branded machines are out of my budget at the moment.

Thank you for help.

Re: Laser Advice

Hi and welcome to the forum.

That would depend on the type of products you intend to make, the level of precision they require, whether or not it is acceptable the paper products to have dark edges and of course your budget.

For the first machine (acrylic) you will have to decide do you need RF laser and SERVO drive system or DC/STEPPER would be fine. RF/SERVO will give you a better edge quality but at a much higher price point.

For the second (paper) the main question would be, could you accept dark (burned) edges? If yes, then you won't need a separate machine for that. If no, then you need a GALVO machine, preferably with an RF laser source. You may also consider adding a parallax camera for more convenient positioning of the material.

Quote Originally Posted by Storen View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

That would depend on the type of products you intend to make, the level of precision they require, whether or not it is acceptable the paper products to have dark edges and of course your budget.

For the first machine (acrylic) you will have to decide do you need RF laser and SERVO drive system or DC/STEPPER would be fine. RF/SERVO will give you a better edge quality but at a much higher price point.

For the second (paper) the main question would be, could you accept dark (burned) edges? If yes, then you won't need a separate machine for that. If no, then you need a GALVO machine, preferably with an RF laser source. You may also consider adding a parallax camera for more convenient positioning of the material.
    Sorry for the late reply,

I cannot post directly from https://www.cnczone.com/ and instead using https://en.industryarena.com/ which has a delay between the two in regards to the posts syncing.

Thank you for your information Storen.

The paper machine is more important so I think we will purchase that one first. We want to produce the best quality possible so any dark or charred edges won't be acceptable. Do you know if CO2 lasers are capable of cutting glitter cardstock? If so, does the metal not reflect the beam in different directions?

Also, would some sort of jig for positioning the material and a laser trace be a better option than the camera? Since we will try to keep the materials being cut almost identical in size.

We have been looking at GBOS Laser, Argus / Sunic Laser, Golden Laser, Perfect Laser & MORN.

We are currently trying to contact these suppliers/manufacturers - does anyone here know if they are any good or has other recommendations for different companies? Or any sort of systematic approach to finding out who has the best quality machine?

Thank you

Have you thought of using a plotter style cutter to cut the card stock and paper?? Unless you are getting into highly detailed cuts I would thing it would work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jreynolds5 View Post
    Have you thought of using a plotter style cutter to cut the card stock and paper?? Unless you are getting into highly detailed cuts I would thing it would work just fine.
    Thanks for the input.

We currently use plotter based cutters but want to upgrade to a machine which is faster and can cut detailed cuts consistently with very good accuracy.

Are there any Chinese companies you could recommend which manufacture galvo lasers comparable to western companies but for a much cheaper price?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperpirate View Post
    We currently use plotter based cutters but want to upgrade to a machine which is faster and can cut detailed cuts consistently with very good accuracy.
    Interesting. What kind of plotter you currently have? Can you show some pictures?

Do you know if CO2 lasers are capable of cutting glitter cardstock? If so, does the metal not reflect the beam in different directions?
    I doubt that would be a problem but to be certain you could send the factory a sample from the coated paper and ask them to cut it for you.

Also, would some sort of jig for positioning the material and a laser trace be a better option than the camera? Since we will try to keep the materials being cut almost identical in size.
    Of course, in this case, using a jig would be better. Adding a camera makes sense if you have to work with a lot of different sizes and change them frequently. Or if you intend to cut printed paper and want to align the cut path to the graphics. However, for that, you will need a coaxial camera system with graphics recognition software which is quite expensive.

recommendations for different companies? Or any sort of systematic approach to finding out who has the best quality machine?
    The problem comes from that it is very easy to build a basic galvo machine with standard off-the-shelf components. Probably you could do it yourself if you buy the parts. The basic galvo machines have a much simpler construction and are easier to make than a typical gantry machine. That is why most Chinese assembly factories will be eager to offer their services in order to get the sale even if they don't have any experience in this specific type of equipment (for cardstock). Additionally, when buying from China there is always the risk of getting a machine built with defective or refurbished parts, which of course are much cheaper and the Chinese market is flooded with them. Unfortunately even large, "reputable" Chinese companies do that all the time. Calibration is another huge issue. It is extremely important for the galvo machines in particular. Most factories don't have qualified technicians to do this beyond setting the most basic parameters. Usually, they will let you deal with the rest yourself and if you haven't done it in the past it could be quite frustrating. It is very difficult to asses a factory by just communicating with their sales reps. Most of them are technically illiterate and not always honest. Visiting the factory in person and inspecting the equipment is better but sometimes it is not possible. I am not writing this to scare you but to give you an idea about some of the typical problems when buying from China.

When selecting a factory the most important things would be reputation and expertise. If I have to purchase a paper cutting machine I would start with Wuhan Golden Laser. They are one of the most reputable Chinese manufacturers and have a ton of experience in this area. They make only equipment for mass production and presumably use the most reliable technology. I don't know how their prices compare to the others but I suspect they may be significantly higher. Have you received a quote from them yet? I am very curious about what kind of controllers and RF generators they use?

The ZJ(3D)-9045TB model looks ideal for your needs (image attached).
    This is a link to a youtube video for the others in the form who might be interested - Link

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZJ(3D)-9045TB.jpg  

Interesting. What kind of plotter you currently have? Can you show some pictures?
    We use knife based plotters at the moment but would not recommend them for any sort of large production work - hence why we are looking for a scalable option to grow with the business.

I doubt that would be a problem but to be certain you could send the factory a sample from the coated paper and ask them to cut it for you.
    I am planning to send the factories samples but due to the Chinese new year, our communications have stopped until their employees are back to work.

Of course, in this case, using a jig would be better. Adding a camera makes sense if you have to work with a lot of different sizes and change them frequently. Or if you intend to cut printed paper and want to align the cut path to the graphics. However, for that, you will need a coaxial camera system with graphics recognition software which is quite expensive.
    I will ask the factories how much it would cost for a camera system to be installed, if possible at all. I remember reading from one company they were not able to house the additional components needed due to the lack of physical space in the chassis.

The problem comes from that it is very easy to build a basic galvo machine with standard off-the-shelf components. Probably you could do it yourself if you buy the parts. The basic galvo machines have a much simpler construction and are easier to make than a typical gantry machine. That is why most Chinese assembly factories will be eager to offer their services in order to get the sale even if they don't have any experience in this specific type of equipment (for cardstock). Additionally, when buying from China there is always the risk of getting a machine built with defective or refurbished parts, which of course are much cheaper and the Chinese market is flooded with them. Unfortunately even large, "reputable" Chinese companies do that all the time. Calibration is another huge issue. It is extremely important for the galvo machines in particular. Most factories don't have qualified technicians to do this beyond setting the most basic parameters. Usually, they will let you deal with the rest yourself and if you haven't done it in the past it could be quite frustrating. It is very difficult to asses a factory by just communicating with their sales reps. Most of them are technically illiterate and not always honest. Visiting the factory in person and inspecting the equipment is better but sometimes it is not possible. I am not writing this to scare you but to give you an idea about some of the typical problems when buying from China.

When selecting a factory the most important things would be reputation and expertise. If I have to purchase a paper cutting machine I would start with Wuhan Golden Laser. They are one of the most reputable Chinese manufacturers and have a ton of experience in this area. They make only equipment for mass production and presumably use the most reliable technology. I don't know how their prices compare to the others but I suspect they may be significantly higher. Have you received a quote from them yet? I am very curious about what kind of controllers and RF generators they use?

The ZJ(3D)-9045TB model looks ideal for your needs (image attached).
    This is a link to a youtube video for the others in the form who might be interested - Link

I contacted Wuhan Golden Laser a few weeks ago and they gave me some more information. The components they use include a 150w German Rofin Tube, Scanlab galvo head, Japanese servo motor and USA lens.

Does anyone here know the cost of these components separately? I tried to research but it was very difficult to get the prices of them without contacting the manufacturing companies directly since they don't make them publicly accessible.

They also include the chiller and a dual exhaust I think but haven't confirmed this.

Also, the machine comes with a motorised Z axis, so am i correct in assuming the larger the cutting area would decrease the quality of the cut due to the dot size increasing?

The components they use include a 150w German Rofin Tube, Scanlab galvo head, Japanese servo motor and USA lens.
    Ok, so they quoted you the most expensive possible configuration. What is the total cost? As far I know Rofin doesn't make laser sources (tubes). They probably mean Coherent which are made in the US. You may be fine with a much less powerful (less expensive) generator if you use a lens with smaller spot size.
    Scanlab is undisputedly the most reputable brand but the Chinese galvanometers are actually pretty good and cost like 10-20% of the price of Scanlab. Ronar lens are excellent and also a fraction of any lens made in the US.
    Do they mean the servo driving the belt? It is probably Yaskawa or Panasonic. I doubt you need that at all since you intend to work only with small size paper.
    What kind of controller/software do they use? The software they show in the video doesn't look familiar. I am curious if they have developed their own.
    Depending on the wattage of the laser you may not need liquid cooling (chiller).
    Do you know what exactly do they mean by dual exhaust?

Also, the machine comes with a motorised Z axis, so am i correct in assuming the larger the cutting area would decrease the quality of the cut due to the dot size increasing?
    The spot size would depend on the lens used not on the method of driving the Z axis. Manual focus (Z) would probably be OK in your case. Smaller focal spot size will allow you to cut more intricate details and would also increase the penetration power of the laser beam. You can have multiple lenses and switch them depending on the application but keep in mind when selecting a lens you'll also need to consider the depth of field of the lens.

Ok, so they quoted you the most expensive possible configuration. What is the total cost?
    This is what I was thinking too. They quoted me $35k.

As far I know Rofin doesn't make laser sources (tubes). They probably mean Coherent which are made in the US. You may be fine with a much less powerful (less expensive) generator if you use a lens with smaller spot size.
    I was contemplating a less powerful laser source too - but I did not want to compromise on the speed of the cuts much. The lowest source on their spec sheet is a 100W. Hopefully, they are willing to show me the difference between both power sources and if it has an impact on the cut time.

Scanlab is undisputedly the most reputable brand but the Chinese galvanometers are actually pretty good and cost like 10-20% of the price of Scanlab. Ronar lens are excellent and also a fraction of any lens made in the US.
    Thanks for the information.

Do you know of any Chinese brands who manufacture high-quality galvanometers?

Do they mean the servo driving the belt? It is probably Yaskawa or Panasonic. I doubt you need that at all since you intend to work only with small size paper.
    What kind of controller/software do they use? The software they show in the video doesn't look familiar. I am curious if they have developed their own.
    Depending on the wattage of the laser you may not need liquid cooling (chiller).
    Do you know what exactly do they mean by dual exhaust?
    This information I am not clear on either, hopefully, they can answer them for me when we resume our communications after the new year.

The servo they wrote: It adopts servo controlling motor for moving at every corner, ensure the whole area working smoothly; so I am guessing they mean for controlling the mirror to direct the beam?

Do you know what laser wattage would not need liquid cooling?

With regards to dual exhaust, I think they mean vacuum absorbs from two different areas at the same time to solve the issue with the fumes created during the cutting process.

They quoted me $35k.
    Actually, 35K sounds like a good price for this configuration.

Do you know of any Chinese brands who manufacture high-quality galvanometers?
    Sino and Sunny are the main brands. I am more familiar with Sino. Their top model is SG7220. It is designed specifically for the Western market to compete with Scanlab.

The servo they wrote: It adopts servo controlling motor for moving at every corner, ensure the whole area working smoothly; so I am guessing they mean for controlling the mirror to direct the beam?
    All galvo heads use servo motors and since the one they quoted is Scanlab I assume it should be built with German parts. I think they mean the belt that moves the material left-right. The motion has to be very precise to avoid seams.

Do you know what laser wattage would not need liquid cooling?
    Not sure.

Maybe I’m missing something, but to cut 3mm acrylic and cardstock a 50W CO2 laser would work just fine.

I make stuff from paper and cut it quite effectively with a 6W diode laser.

Glitter is metallicised plastic and would not offer any resistance (and thus reflection) to a moderately-powered CO2 laser.

Do you want roll-fed media? How large a bed do you want?

hihi, guess I'm too late to enter this topic :P
    Contact: Eric Cai E-mail: [email protected] Skype: sely.sunic Web: www.arguslaser.net

Sorry for the late reply,

I cannot post directly from https://www.cnczone.com/ and instead using https://en.industryarena.com/ which has a delay between the two in regards to the posts syncing.

Thank you for your information Storen.

The paper machine is more important so I think we will purchase that one first. We want to produce the best quality possible so any dark or charred edges won't be acceptable. Do you know if CO2 lasers are capable of cutting glitter cardstock? If so, does the metal not reflect the beam in different directions?

We have been looking at GBOS Laser, Argus / Sunic Laser, Golden Laser, Perfect Laser & MORN.

We are currently trying to contact these suppliers/manufacturers - does anyone here know if they are any good or has other recommendations for different companies? Or any sort of systematic approach to finding out who has the best quality machine?

Thank you
    are you from Candy Rush?

Last year I have received the inquiry, made the sample, and forward to our UK partner.
    Contact: Eric Cai E-mail: [email protected] Skype: sely.sunic Web: www.arguslaser.net

Quote Originally Posted by ArgusLaser View Post
    are you from Candy Rush?

Last year I have received the inquiry, made the sample, and forward to our UK partner.

I recommend a different approach, rather than trust that the technology will do the job. I think it is high risk to buy the laser machine without thoroughly running several short production runs prior to purchase. When I have sold laser machines to automotive parts suppliers, we always ran numerous samples and short production runs and we got paid along the way.

Regarding paper cutting, a big challenge is to get the right source for laser cutting. A more common example, that many readers here are familiar with is baltic birch cutting, or aircraft grade plywood cutting. Suppliers of this wood will sell particular stock depending upon the technology used to cut it. There is "laser grade" aircraft plywood, that can be specified. Note that laser grade does not mean that the price is more expensive, only that it cuts well with a laser (does not have excessive charring, or blowouts during laser cutting).

For laser processing of heavy paper cutting/cardstock, I was educated by a high end greeting card maker that used a laser engraver for cutting her cardstock. I had to purchase samples of the paper, and the weight of the paper needed to match her weights, around 180 grams, and more importantly, the percentage of lignan content significantly affected laser cut discoloration.

Your glitter paper recommended approach is as follows:
    1. Source the glitter paper, and get the specifications on lignan content
    2.. Hire a local laser engraver (preferably with a more reliable laser source, such as a Trotec laser that utilizes an RF laser rather than glass tubes).
    3. In an iterative process (will take more than one go at it), provide samples and evaluate the factors that provide the best quality. Try to get an experienced job shop that knows how to logically change process parameters, rather than just change the laser machine's speed and power settings. Ask the job shop what focal length lenses they have, to make sure they are qualified. Changing a lens is like changing a drill bit, use the right diameter for the job.
    4. After you get acceptable results, then go to the China guys for laser processing on their galvos, or have a local integrator make one up for you

For your information, below is my Bell Laser final report for my customer:
    Material: 180 g white paper
    Quality: The sample that was laser cut matched the drawing in accuracy. It was cut cleanly and and accurately. There was slight yellowing on the opposite side. Also, the drill holes may be too densely spaced and risk tearing.
    Good quality achieve by:

1. Using a close focal length for fine cutting in order to get the drill holes the proper size.
    2. For cutting accuracy, we measured the line thickness for this lens and used an offset width to cut, rather than the center of the closed shape, but on the inside of the closed shape.
    3. Laser Piercing each closed shape in its center then cutting a “lead in” line to the shape, for example the square, then using a tail-out, to come out. In this manner all shapes do not show a laser pierce hole, or a hole that has a higher burn back from the edge.

In order to reduce yellowing, the following changes may help.

1. Change the paper to a better manufacturer of lignon free paper
    2. Fine tune the laser settings. This test was conducted with a 60 watt laser with one percentage point increments for setting. A better laser is a 30 watt laser with one percent point increments for power setting. The lower power laser will double the fineness of the adjustments. (0.6 watt to 0.3 watts)
    3. The paper can be held down firm and flat with a vacuum table with minimal contact to the paper. We found that the honeycomb created a back reflection and nonreflective material was best to keep the back side quality white.

Recommendation: We recommend laser training at our facility to show you the machine operation for cards, and/or we provide a detailed tutorial on the best cutting methods with photos and step by step instructions. For the laser machine, we recommend a 30-40 watt laser tube with a small working area for best accuracy of the cutting table, and a flat cutting table aligned to the laser lens that is a short focal length lens.

Quote Originally Posted by grawley View Post

I recommend a different approach, rather than trust that the technology will do the job. I think it is high risk to buy the laser machine without thoroughly running several short production runs prior to purchase. When I have sold laser machines to automotive parts suppliers, we always ran numerous samples and short production runs and we got paid along the way.

Regarding paper cutting, a big challenge is to get the right source for laser cutting. A more common example, that many readers here are familiar with is baltic birch cutting, or aircraft grade plywood cutting. Suppliers of this wood will sell particular stock depending upon the technology used to cut it. There is "laser grade" aircraft plywood, that can be specified. Note that laser grade does not mean that the price is more expensive, only that it cuts well with a laser (does not have excessive charring, or blowouts during laser cutting).

For laser processing of heavy paper cutting/cardstock, I was educated by a high end greeting card maker that used a laser engraver for cutting her cardstock. I had to purchase samples of the paper, and the weight of the paper needed to match her weights, around 180 grams, and more importantly, the percentage of lignan content significantly affected laser cut discoloration.

Your glitter paper recommended approach is as follows:
    1. Source the glitter paper, and get the specifications on lignan content
    2.. Hire a local laser engraver (preferably with a more reliable laser source, such as a Trotec laser that utilizes an RF laser rather than glass tubes).
    3. In an iterative process (will take more than one go at it), provide samples and evaluate the factors that provide the best quality. Try to get an experienced job shop that knows how to logically change process parameters, rather than just change the laser machine's speed and power settings. Ask the job shop what focal length lenses they have, to make sure they are qualified. Changing a lens is like changing a drill bit, use the right diameter for the job.
    4. After you get acceptable results, then go to the China guys for laser processing on their galvos, or have a local integrator make one up for you

For your information, below is my Bell Laser final report for my customer:
    Material: 180 g white paper
    Quality: The sample that was laser cut matched the drawing in accuracy. It was cut cleanly and and accurately. There was slight yellowing on the opposite side. Also, the drill holes may be too densely spaced and risk tearing.
    Good quality achieve by:

1. Using a close focal length for fine cutting in order to get the drill holes the proper size.
    2. For cutting accuracy, we measured the line thickness for this lens and used an offset width to cut, rather than the center of the closed shape, but on the inside of the closed shape.
    3. Laser Piercing each closed shape in its center then cutting a “lead in” line to the shape, for example the square, then using a tail-out, to come out. In this manner all shapes do not show a laser pierce hole, or a hole that has a higher burn back from the edge.

In order to reduce yellowing, the following changes may help.

1. Change the paper to a better manufacturer of lignon free paper
    2. Fine tune the laser settings. This test was conducted with a 60 watt laser with one percentage point increments for setting. A better laser is a 30 watt laser with one percent point increments for power setting. The lower power laser will double the fineness of the adjustments. (0.6 watt to 0.3 watts)
    3. The paper can be held down firm and flat with a vacuum table with minimal contact to the paper. We found that the honeycomb created a back reflection and nonreflective material was best to keep the back side quality white.

Recommendation: We recommend laser training at our facility to show you the machine operation for cards, and/or we provide a detailed tutorial on the best cutting methods with photos and step by step instructions. For the laser machine, we recommend a 30-40 watt laser tube with a small working area for best accuracy of the cutting table, and a flat cutting table aligned to the laser lens that is a short focal length lens.
    ARGUS LASER has been manufacturing laser equipment since 1998.
    We have wide products range which including:
    1. CO2 Laser Engraving&Cutting Machine
    2. CO2/Fiber/UV/Green Laser Marking Machine
    3. 3D Dynamic CO2/Fiber/UV Laser Marking Machine
    4. Fiber Laser Cutting Machine
    5. Laser Micro Processing System (Thin-film/Thick-film resistor laser trimming system)
    6. Picosecond/Femtosecond laser processing system

Argus Laser is also the top 1 wedding invitation cards, pop-up cards laser processing solution provider in China, we have served many large cards factories?which is also including the U.S. companies.
    For paper laser cutting application, we have many year's experiences, successful cases, reliable datas and very good machines. It's a very common business for us.
    We have the normal CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter (both Glas tube and Coherent R.F. metal tube), normal 2D galvo CO2 Laser Marking Machine( Coherent R.F. Metal Tube with max working size 300x300mm) and 3D Dynamic Galvo Co2 Laser Marking machine (Coherent R.F. Metal Tube with max working size 600x600mm for paper, we can make the size even bigger, but it will be used for other kinds of applications).
    So I believe we have enough speak right in this field.

According to my feelings, many readers here are quite familiar with CNC machines, or normal CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter, so they can give some advices on that.
    But I didn't found anyone who is quite familiar with galvo laser machine, especially the 3D dynamic galvo machine.
    So I would like to share something I knew, hope that will be helpful for you to make the right choice.

1. What are the difference among normal CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter , 2D CO2 Galvo Laser and 3D Dynamic CO2 Galvo Laser?
    Optical System?
    Normal CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter

2D CO2 Galvo Laser

3D CO2 Galvo Laser

Motion System? From the above three pictures, you can find that:
    The CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter's motion system is including X axis and Y axis motors to control the Gantry moving in Y axis, and laser head moving in X axis
    The 2D CO2 Galvo Laser's motion system is including X axis and Y axis motors to control the two reflection mirrors rotate the angle to change the laser path in X&Y axis
    The 3D CO2 Galvo Laser's motion system is including X axis and Y axis motors to control the two reflection mirrors rotate the angle to change the laser path in X&Y axis, and also Z axis moving lens to change the focus distance.

Laser Tube?
    All of these three kinds of equipment can match with glass tube and R.F. metal tube.
    Glass tube laser beam quality, output frequency, and stability is worse than R.F. metal tube, if you use the glass tube in the laser marking system, the output frequency can not follow up the processing speed perfectly, and quality is not reliable, easy broken. So we only use glass tube in the CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter.

Control System?
    CO2 Engraver&Cutter in China mostly are using Ruida Control System
    2D CO2 Galvo Laser in China mostly are using JCZ Control System
    3D CO2 Galvo Laser control system we have different types in China. Some small manufacturers are using the third party's control system such as JCZ, big manufacturer are using their own developed control system. We are using our own system also.

Working Size?
    The CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter can make big size as you request, the standard large size model you can make it to 1300x2500mm
    The 2D CO2 Galvo Laser max working area can only reach to 300x300mm working size, because the Z axis is fixing , laser beam comes from the center, if the working size is large, the outside working area will be out of focus.
    The 3D CO2 Galvo Laser max working area we have made now is 2200mm*unlimited length (of course with belt conveyor worktable), the Z axis is adjustable, so we can change the focus distance by software programing, to make sure the focus point is remain on the working area.

Laser Spot Quality?
    The laser spot quality has relationship with Laser Tube Beam Quality, Laser Beam Expander?It will be used with R.F. Metal Laser Tube) , Optical Lens quality, and Focus Distance.
    R.F. Metal Laser Tube Beam Quality will be better than Glass Laser Tube. Small power laser tube beam size will be smaller also.
    Laser Beam Expander can reduce the divergence angle of the laser source, can make the laser spot quality better after focusing lens.
    Different optical lens will have different result also. For the CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter, we are using II VI brand focus lens,
    Short focus distance, laser spot size will be smaller. The Co2 Laser Engraver&Cutter has short focus lens, in theory it will be smaller than galvo laser, but due to the high processing speed makes the laser remain on the material very short time, the galvo laser spot size will look small also.

Ability?
    CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter is very good at fine engraving and cutting, if match with small power R.F. metal laser tube, high precision motion system, it can engrave very High DPI bitmap file, better than galvo laser. And due to the short focus, power more concentrated, straight light path, it can cut thick materials with high power laser tube.

2D CO2 Galvo Laser is usually match with small power R.F. metal laser tube. It is usually used for high speed small size non-metal materials marking and engraving process. Due to the long focus distance, it can not engrave very deep, and not good at cutting.

3D CO2 Galvo Laser is usually match with medium to high power R.F. metal laser tube, we have power from 60W~500W options, it can do large size non-metal materials high speed marking and engraving, and due to the high laser power, it can do some thin materials cutting, such as the Paper, Leather, Vinyl, Thin plywood. max cutting thickness 4~5mm.

Working Speed?
    CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter's working speed will be much slower than galvo laser machine, we can see from the motion system. CO2 Laser Enraver&Cutter processing need move the gantry and laser head, the galvo laser just need rotate the mirrors.
    CO2 Laser Engraver&Cutter running speed has relationship with the motor and transmission system, that is why we have DC brushless motor options for high speed engraving, which can reach to 2000mm/s, but of course, Trotec is the best, they have the best motor. Eventhough, this 2000mm/s is just the max line speed, when laser path change direction, you will have to reduce the speed to 0, and raise to 2000mm/s again, there are many time losing during these process, and make it slow.
    Galvo Laser running speed has relationship with the mirror motor running speed and the focus distance. Generally speaking, different brand galvo head motor rotate speed is similar, if the rotate speed is the same, rotate angle is the same, then if you have longer focus distance, then the laser beam will move longer distance in the end of the focus point. Galvo Laser Focus distance has relationship with the working size you choose, if you choose larger working area, then the focus distance should be longer, then the running speed should be higher.
    Normmally for the 2D galvo laser max speed will not over 3000mm/s, while large size 3D galvo laser max speed can reach to 7000~10000mm/s

According to the above expalination, I think you may have a general idea that which kind of machine you should choose.

2. Laser Process on Paper
    I will talk about it in the next post, today is too late.