584,798 active members*
4,246 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Partner 1D Tool Holders.

Partner 1D Tool Holders.

I found a great deal on a mixed lot of BT40 and CAT40 tool holders. From what I have found on good ol' Google, The pull stud length and thread is the only real difference. The body taper being identical.

Is this true? Could I just replace all the pull studs to be the correct height and thread and use both style tool holders?

Re: Partner 1D Tool Holders.

Yes, they will fit in the spindle no problem, I do this with my mill. But... do you have a tool changer ? If so, it will be set up for one type or the other, the size and location of the V in the flange is different and you can't interchange from BT to CAT in the same machine without changing parts.

Sen2, Brian is correct, if you have a tool changer the CT and BT make a WORLD of difference. ( how does a 5/16 bolt fit in a 3/8 thread)

sportybob

If you have a BT tool use the BT pull stud, it fits different in the tool., If the tool changer is CAT tool use CAT tool and CAT pull studs, in the tool changer and use the BT with BT pull studs for tools #'s greater then the # of pockets in your tool changer. ( the control will ask you to "manually change tools) BT tools with BT pulls studs fit the spindle the same as Cat tools with cat pull studs. It is the V flange on the tool and the tool change height that is slightly different.

sportybob

No tool changer on my machine. I passed on the Tool Holders anyways. Good to know I can look at both if need be though.
    The main reason for my question is I want to use CNMG 432 inserts. I have A LOT of them. Enough for years of use. I would love to find face mills, borings bars, flycutters, and other tool holders that use CNMG 432 inserts.

If you have any for sale, or know where I could possibly purchase some. Please let me know.

I have uploaded A picture of the type of insert I am referencing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnmg432.jpg  

CNMG 432 is really a lathe style insert, I don't recall ever seeing a shell mill that uses them. As for boring bars, maybe, but smallest shank I've seen with a CNMG 432 insert is usually 1" or 1.25" with a rather large head on the end and minimum bore around a 1/4" to 3/8" bigger than the shank. Having said all that somebody will probably prove me wrong, but I've never seen them.

I didn't know they made a shell mill like that, did have a lathe tool holder that used the "unused" corner. We could face with it and use a lot of the inserts you would normally throw away. Good deal if you have a lot of inserts that would other wise go to waste. Be aware that the CNMG inserts are not very "free cutting", so you'll need some hp behind the cutter and it will create a pretty good load.

Quote Originally Posted by rl49 View Post
    Thank you for finding that!

Just got offered this CAT40 4" Flycutter that looks to have a CNMG432 insert.

I am also wondering if I am doing myself a disservice by trying to stick with these inserts?

Are they actually inferior? Will having to possibly purchase specialty or used toolholders cost me in the long run?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mats_b_4in_fly.jpg   mats_b_4in_fly_2.jpg  

I wouldn't waste my time with that one. It is so unbalanced that anything over a few hundred rpm will shake your machine to death. In a home shop or even low production, the cost of inserts is marginal, I wouldn't waste time looking to use old inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
    I wouldn't waste my time with that one. It is so unbalanced that anything over a few hundred rpm will shake your machine to death. In a home shop or even low production, the cost of inserts is marginal, I wouldn't waste time looking to use old inserts.
    I'm curious how can you tell its unbalanced by looking at it? I would guess that if a company spent the time to engineer and manufacture it, balancing would be on the list of things of importance.

It's just not physically possible, you can tell visually that the tool has a huge chunk of steel out to one side without any corresponding mass on the other. Try using a Criterion boring head and getting it set way off center and see how it makes the machine wobble... it would be way worse with this monstrosity.

Quote Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    I'm curious how can you tell its unbalanced by looking at it? I would guess that if a company spent the time to engineer and manufacture it, balancing would be on the list of things of importance.
    It was so highly successful it's been dropped from the face of the Earth.

HI Sen2, the CNMG432 is the most widely used lathe bit. you should not have any trouble selling or swapping them with other shops. you just need to know what insert and what it fits or swapping for.

sportybob

Quote Originally Posted by sportybob View Post
    HI Sen2, the CNMG432 is the most widely used lathe bit. you should not have any trouble selling or swapping them with other shops. you just need to know what insert and what it fits or swapping for.

sportybob
    Agreed.

I need to give you a call soon. Haven't been able to make any progress on my machine since our last session. Might be time to upgrade something...

I've had this machine over a year and not one single chip has been made.