585,702 active members*
4,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese Spindle making rattling noise !
Page 1 of 3 123

Exclamation Chinese Spindle making rattling noise !

Hello everyone.

I purchased a Chinese spindle via AliExpress. It is a 1.5 kW, 24000 rpm, ER16 liquid-cooled spindle.
    When I run the spindle above 11,000 rpm it makes some kind of rattling noise like something is interfering inside, but the shaft spins smoothly and below 11,000 rpm the noise disappears. There is no resistance felt when I spin the shaft with my hand. It is perfectly smooth. I contacted the seller and he said it is normal and that I continue to use it. But the noise is quite worrying me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrzEDfsBpPY

Since I was just testing the spindle for a few seconds I did not connect the water cooling tubes yet (in the video). Later I did a long run (running continuously for about an hour) with the tubes connected and water flowing through it, the spindle seemed to be working fine, no overheating or reduction in speed except for the noise it keeps making.

Can anyone tell me what is the problem? Is it all right to continue using it? Or what can be done to stop the noise?

Thank you !

Re: Chinese Spindle making rattling noise !

Notice how the frequency of the noise stays the same as the spindle spins up and down? Just a wild guess, but I suspect it's VFD output that has little "glitches" in it.

Try this: change the VFD stopping mode from "Decelerate to stop" to "Coast to stop". See if the noise goes away as soon as you hit the Stop button.

Thank you for your reply!

Will check and let you know.

CitizenOfDreams you are right! There is some kind of glitch from the VFD output. I changed the settings as said by you and the noise disappeared as soon as I pressed the stop button. Can you further help me in correcting the issue? Any changes in VFD settings ? I am using a cheap chinese VFD. Model : YL620-A 2.2kW output and the spindle is a 1.5kW 400Hz model.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by suganesh95 View Post
    CitizenOfDreams you are right! There is some kind of glitch from the VFD output.
    I would try changing the carrier frequency and see what happens.

Honestly, I'm a newbie and there are many settings in VFD that I am not able to figure out what they mean. I am uploading pics of my present settings and maybe you can help me out with it.

(P.S - Ignore the stopping mode as I have set it to "coast to stop")

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Is this a complete list of functions? Looks like there should be much more. The "Carrier frequency" parameter is usually way down the list.

There are still many ! I just uploaded the ones which i set. Anyways i will upload the remaining ones so that you can have a look.
    Please go through them.

Thank you !
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carrier frequency, or PWM frequency, is parameter P12.19. Try cutting it in half or doubling it and see what happens.

Hello everyone.

I purchased a Chinese spindle via AliExpress. It is a 1.5 kW, 24000 rpm, ER16 liquid-cooled spindle.
    When I run the spindle above 11,000 rpm it makes some kind of rattling noise like something is interfering inside, but the shaft spins smoothly and below 11,000 rpm the noise disappears. There is no resistance felt when I spin the shaft with my hand. It is perfectly smooth. I contacted the seller and he said it is normal and that I continue to use it. But the noise is quite worrying me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrzEDfsBpPY

Since I was just testing the spindle for a few seconds I did not connect the water cooling tubes yet (in the video). Later I did a long run (running continuously for about an hour) with the tubes connected and water flowing through it, the spindle seemed to be working fine, no overheating or reduction in speed except for the noise it keeps making.

Can anyone tell me what is the problem? Is it all right to continue using it? Or what can be done to stop the noise?

Thank you !
    Have you checked the Ground is connected, pin 4 in the spindle, this has to have continuity to the spindle body, if not this has to be corrected, it also sounds like you have some parameters set incorrect, do you have a list of the parameters you set

Just looked at what you posted no they are not set correct I will post you a list of what you have to set, but first we have to know which VFD Drive you have
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Carrier frequency, or PWM frequency, is parameter P12.19. Try cutting it in half or doubling it and see what happens.
    You are miss leading this new user if he has not changed the carrier frequency then the default setting is fine for these spindles, his main Parameters are not set correct this is something you can't make guesses with
    Mactec54

There are still many ! I just uploaded the ones which i set. Anyways i will upload the remaining ones so that you can have a look.
    Please go through them.

Thank you !
    Things I need to know to be able to give you the correct parameters to set, don't run your spindle again until you have the correct Parameters set

VFD Drive spec's make and model #

Spindle voltage ??
    Spindle Amps ??

A Photo of the VFD Drive also would help to see if it is real or a clone
    Mactec54

Please go through them.

Thank you !
    Ok by what you posted Correct these 2 Parameters and then try, P00.00=400 if this is set incorrect will smoke your burn your spindle, so hope there is no damage been caused

P00.00=400

P00.09=100 this is your minimum speed these or your spindle can run, I will check

Do you have the PDF of the manual
    Mactec54

Really sorry for the delay in reply as I was having my exams so was busy preparing for it.

CitizenOfDreams

Actually, I did a factory reset and the default parameter for P12.19 was set to 6kHz in the VFD and not 8kHZ as mentioned in the manual. So what I did was I set it to 8 to check what happens. and the noise reduced drastically. Only a feeble amout was audible when went closer to the spindle to hear it. Later i set it to 10kHZ and the noise disappeared !

So do you recommend 10kHZ for my spindle?

mactec54

Yes, pin 4 is connected to the ground.
    VFD is a Chinese YL620-A, 2.2kW, single phase input to three phase output, 400Hz, 10A, 220V
    The spindle is a Chinese 1.5kW, 24000 rpm, 400Hz, Liquid cooled spindle, 8A, 220V

For the parameters please check my post above I have uploaded a pdf file.

Aslo P 00.00 is the AC mains frequency i.e the frequency present in the wall socket plug and not the spindle frequency and here in India, it is 50Hz P 00.04 is the max. Spindle frequency.

suganesh95 Guest

mactec54

Please check this link: https://reps.cc/?p=113

Here the person uses the same VFD as mine and has given the basic parameter settings. Seems ok to me, but do give your suggestions.

Thank you !

mactec54

Please check this link: https://reps.cc/?p=113

Here the person uses the same VFD as mine and has given the basic parameter settings. Seems ok to me, but do give your suggestions.

Thank you !
    Yes the very first Parameter is incorrect that needs to be 400Hz it has nothing to do with your supply frequency you have to use the Spindle Motor Frequency

No with your carrier Frequency it can go as high as 10 but unless you have a way to check the internal temperature it would not be a good Idea to go above 8, so say at 8 is what I recommend for these spindles 6 to 8 is a good setting, at 10 the winding start to heat up so you don't want that to be happening if it want long life from your spindle

These are what you need to set

P00.00=400

P00.09=100

P00.10=25
    Mactec54

suganesh95 Guest

mactec54

Ok, will look into it! Can you also tell me what does it mean? and do you recommend any changes in the other parameters?

Thank you !

mactec54

Ok, will look into it! Can you also tell me what does it mean? and do you recommend any changes in the other parameters?

Thank you !
    What I just posted you have to change or you can damage your spindle if you don't, there could be other parameters to change, but without a complete PDF of the manual I can't give you any other parameters, I have a different model VFD manual from this manufacture form what you posted, but it is different, I need a complete manual from the manufacture for your VFD model if you have one
    Mactec54

suganesh95 Guest

mactec54

I have changed the first parameter to 400Hz as said by you.
    I am again attaching the pdf and those are the complete set of parameters that the VFD supports. rest all are just connection diagrams and maintenance instructions.

Also what about the PWM frequency settings? i.e parameter P12.19 ? is 10kHZ fine ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123