4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 30 of 43 20282930313240

Re: David A's New 2x3 Bench Top CNC

Dan, right now, I am trying to get the "High Level Feed Back"
    loop of the Teknic servos (HLFB) to work with the controller. One
    end of the loop goes to 5V, the other end to an input on the BoB

Can you provide more details on how you have it wired, what breakout board you are using, and how you have UCCNC configured?

It is supposed to stop all servos
    when one servo stops but this is not the case so far.
    Looking at the manual, I don't see how this can happen, as it's just an output. All you can do is have the HLFB signal stop UCCNC, which in turn would stop the motors.
    Again, how are they wired and configured? Are you daisy chaining them, and using one input? Or wiring each drive to it's own input?

Does UCCNC have a forum?
    This isn't likely a UCCNC issue, but rather a wiring/breakout board issue.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Check out this guy's thread, he's using clearpaths and UCCNC as well.
    I will check his progress, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    David, what are you trying to achive? If the output does not work then how do you expect the UCCNC to recognise a non existing signal?!
    OlfCNC, I am not faulting UCCNC, it works just fine. I am working with a Teknic engineer to find the problem, not UCCNC.

The HLFB is a serial connection. One wire from the first servo is connected to another wire of the next servo. The two ends of the chain is connected to the BoB 5V and an input.

The input from HLFB can then be used for various displays like actual speed/load of servos or for triggering a function.

What I am trying to achieve is that all servos stop if one servo stalls.

Here is the wiring:
    Attachment 419552

Here is the engineer's explanation:
    Attachment 419560

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Can you provide more details on how you have it wired, what breakout board you are using, and how you have UCCNC configured?

Please see my response to OlfCNC above.

All you can do is have the HLFB signal stop UCCNC, which in turn would stop the motors.

That's exactly what I am trying to do. The HLFB signal does not seem to trigger anything though

This isn't likely a UCCNC issue, but rather a wiring/breakout board issue.
    You are right, doesn't have anything to do with UCCNC. It's either a wiring/BoB issue or the HLFB on the servos doesn't work somehow.

Do you have all the motors programmed for "servo on" for HLFB?

You have to have UCCNC do this. You could assign an Input Trigger to Estop on the HLFB pin.

You should be able to measure with a meter between pin 10 and +5V, and see if it changes when a drive faults.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post
    OlfCNC, I am not faulting UCCNC, it works just fine. I am working with a Teknic engineer to find the problem, not UCCNC.

The HLFB is a serial connection. One wire from the first servo is connected to another wire of the next servo. The two ends of the chain is connected to the BoB 5V and an input.

The input from HLFB can then be used for various displays like actual speed/load of servos or for triggering a function.

Here is the wiring:

Here is the engineer's explanation:
    Yes I know. Just what this Ntl guy wrote is what I responded that changing to acorn would resolve the missing signal problem. Looks like he is a funny guy thinks that the acorn can read non existing signals.

I think you should make that signal to come out from the servo drives first and if that works then start thinking about how to connect it.
    First just measure the signal with a multimeter to see if it is there and configure the drive to make it come out.

Gerry, I wired it as shown on the image above, I have the CNC4PC board, the C11G-Revision 9.

The HLFB output is connected to pin #10 on the BoB. I've setup UCCNC I/O-INPUTS page with pin 10, Port 1, Function is selected as 144.

HLFB signal does not seem to trigger that input. Active high or low does not make a difference.

I also tried to setup the E-stop input as Pin 10, Port 1. Same result.

Do you have all the motors programmed for "servo on" for HLFB?
    Yes, all servos are programmed for "servo on".

On your breakout board, you should be able to measure 5V between pin 10 and the +5V terminal, if the HFLB signal is present.

On the UCCNC diagnostic page, if you connect and disconnect the +5V wire, you should see the LED for pin 10 change state.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

For the fix read this and see if it helps. If not I will spend more than 30 seconds searching.

Dan

If it is a relay output then he simply has to wire voltage through it, but appearantly the relay is not working for David so it has to be something in the clearpath config then if the relay is not switching in the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    If it is a relay output then he simply has to wire voltage through it, but appearantly the relay is not working for David so it has to be something in the clearpath config then if the relay is not switching in the drive.
    IDK does he have it wired to a relay then to the BOB? I don't know anything about wiring a UCCNC board just my board. Someone would need to tell him how to incorporate a relay board to handle the clearpaths signal. I wish I could be more help, but what I posted gives you guys a starting point and tells you how to handle the clearpath signal. It doesn't sound like it's a setting in the clearpaths but rather how to compensate for the resistance that wiring them in series produces.

Funny guy NTL

1.) He is not wiring a uccnc board, but a cnc4pc breakout board.
    2.) According to his description the relay in his servos are not switching and therefor it does not matter how is it wired it will not work. It would not work with an acorn or whatever controller either.
    3.) I don't think that the resistance of some relay in series could be that high that it would make the input to not trigger. But again if the relay is not switching then it does not matter.

So I'm not sure if you read what I posted? Maybe you don't want to accept what could be causing the problem and what one solution could be? Don't really know since you keep saying it's a software setting for his clearpaths. Maybe it is, but it doesn't sound like it.

Feel free to give him your solution to getting the HGLB to function properly with his breakout board. So far all you are doing is telling him I'm wrong and or don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm wrong with what's going on, but at least I'm giving him potentially useful information.

If it's not a matter of the controller which has been determined, he needs to figure out the work around somehow. If it's a resistance problem with a different controller. Logic would tell me that he could be having a resistance problem as well. There is a solution to the resistance issue in the screenshot I posted for a different controller.

I'm trying to help with finding a solution to his problem by giving him some information I have found. What I posted described his problem what it's caused by and a solution. Granted it's a different controller, but same issue.

Someone with his hardware would need to tell him how solve the problem. According to what I posted they're using 24v not 5v. I have said I don't use his hardware so don't know if it's compatible with the clearpaths. Maybe he needs a UCCNC branded board and the support that it comes with IDK.

I would tend to think that the fix would be similar regardless of the controller.

Thanks,
    Dan

I read on the PMDX forum that the HLFB output can have a 0.5V voltage drop for each drive. So you may be losing enough voltage that it can't trigger the input.
    Google will show you a lot of issues with wiring these, and a lot of different solutions.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Thank you guys.... I'll keep working on this.

On your breakout board, you should be able to measure 5V between pin 10 and the +5V terminal, if the HFLB signal is present.

On the UCCNC diagnostic page, if you connect and disconnect the +5V wire, you should see the LED for pin 10 change state.
    It does measure exactly 4.97 Volts.

The Pin 10 does change state.

Quite a puzzle for me........

Teknic sent me this layout for a PBX board as a sample:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPM - HLFB in Series Relay with Daisy-Chained ClearPath HLFB Outputs.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	419594

I would hate to use a relay as I find it a cumbersome solution.

As to the C11G, Rev. 9 BoB board.

This is the spec sheet for it:
    Attachment 419602

I did try the following on the BoB board,
    all with active high and low with no result.

#1:
    You can switch COM pins to GND or to 5V.
    COM to GND disengaged the servos.
    COM to 5V engages the servos but HLFB doesn't work.

#2:
    You can select input #10 to pull-up or pull down.
    Does not make a difference.

#3:
    IEEE 1284 compatibility jumper did not make a difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Options.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	393.1 KB 
ID:	419604

Page 30 of 43 20282930313240