584,830 active members*
5,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3rd gen tool and cutter grinder

3rd gen tool & cutter grinder here, I just found the site and it appears things are slow in here. I don’t have anything specific to add here but would like to offer my expertise and experience here if anyone has questions or problems. A little about me, my grandfather and father were toolgrinders for Sundstrand aviation in Denver. My grandfather was the lead tool grinder and foreman until his retirement in 1976. My father was a lead tool grinder until 1987 when Sundstrand started shutdown procedures and closed the doors shortly after that. My grandfather started a toolgrinding business after retirement, my father working with him part time. I started working for my grandfather in 1983 where he trained me to grind tools. Sundstrand closed their doors in 1987 and my father took over and I worked with my father and grandfather and learned how to grind tools, (resharpen tooling, endmills, reamers, drills, countersinks, counter bores, shell mills, hog mills, angular cutters, etc... anything that cuts metal.) Also form tools, carbide braised, form insert, step tools, you name it we resharpened it or modified it or made to your print. Both my father and grandfather are gone but I’m thankful for what I learned from them. I was brought up grinding on mono sets, Cincinnati number 2’s, Harrig air bearing endmill od grinder, Wickman profile grinder, drill grinders and an Anca RDX. I currently have 2 top work CM2’s, and 2 Cincinnati number 2’s with several workheads. I see that our trade is disappearing along with the knowledge base. Here to help, Kelly at
    KW Precision Tool & Cutter Grinding 720 438 9055

Re: 3rd gen tool and cutter grinder

Hi, the problem with cutter grinding....end mills and slot drills etc..... is it changes the diam of the cutter and so with CNC you have to be constantly aware of what you are working with...…...also the price to regrind is more than the cost of replacement.

I learned cutter grinding back in the late 50's as an apprentice and now have a Cuttermaster T&C grinder to wile away the hours in my retirement or just for the fun of it to keep my hand in.
    Ian.

Regrinding endmills has changed since I started, when I was younger, everything was HSS and very little carbide, we did the ends and od’s on everything. The machinists could read a mic and offset fro the diameter difference. Today it’s almost all carbide and I cut the ends off and regrind the ends to save the od’s, the machine loaders cannot read a mic and change the diameter in the machine. It’s cheaper for the shop owners to buy new endmills than scrap parts. I’m at 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of a new endmills. If you regrind that tool 4 times that’s quite a bit of savings! Look at the savings if you do that for 20 endmills or 100 endmills! I don’t mind doing large batches of endmills, just not all of the time. I really like making tricky form tools, it keeps me sharp! Ian, May I ask you how old you are? I’m glad to see that your still at it, stay sharp! You can always make a few bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by KWTool View Post
    Regrinding endmills has changed since I started, when I was younger, everything was HSS and very little carbide, we did the ends and od’s on everything. The machinists could read a mic and offset fro the diameter difference. Today it’s almost all carbide and I cut the ends off and regrind the ends to save the od’s, the machine loaders cannot read a mic and change the diameter in the machine. It’s cheaper for the shop owners to buy new endmills than scrap parts. I’m at 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of a new endmills. If you regrind that tool 4 times that’s quite a bit of savings! Look at the savings if you do that for 20 endmills or 100 endmills! I don’t mind doing large batches of endmills, just not all of the time. I really like making tricky form tools, it keeps me sharp! Ian, May I ask you how old you are? I’m glad to see that your still at it, stay sharp! You can always make a few bucks!
    Hi, just turned 80 last year, I don't do much now and the Cuttermaster I bought was mainly a must have/ just want it/don't really need it item with all the bits and pieces and a radius attachment...…...it was passed in on a low bidding on Ebay and on the spur of a moment I made an offer before it got relisted and got it for 2 grand.

The thing I liked about it most was the tilting head for the end mill clearance angle as opposed to raising the stone to get the clearance angle......and the air bearing head with 5C collets is so neat.

I scored a couple of CBN stones from a Ukrain Ebay seller instead of the messy ally oxide ones that need constant dressing with the grit going everywhere.
    Ian.