584,866 active members*
5,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > upgrading from flashcut software to linuxcnc with gecko drives timing issue

upgrading from flashcut software to linuxcnc with gecko drives timing issue

I'm in the process of configuring linuxcnc with gecko 320x drives and the motor is only moving in pulses . the motor steps per rev are 512 and encoder divisions is 10 . I think that acts like drive microstepping . Its been a while I've played with this stuff and am a little rusty . Any ideas as to ware I'm going wrong ?

Re: upgrading from flashcut software to linuxcnc with gecko drives timing issue

10 divisions per revolution is very coarse for encoder counts. Normally, there would be about 250 counts per rev. or more. The motors used with Gecko 320-series drives don't have steps; those drives are used with brushed servo motors. So it wouldn't be microstepping - are you sure the encoders don't have 512 lines on them? (You can usually open the covers and peek without damaging anything.) Servo motors typically have a bunch of skinny wires going to the encoders, but only two fat ones that run them. Steppers will have 4, 6 or 8 wires driving them, but encoders aren't often used.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I'm running 3 DC servos and 1 stepper . Here is my flash cut config scream shot . The drivers are going into fault . I tried increasing the gain but that's not it .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Does that mean 10 x 512??
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Its ten encoder ticks to one pulse to move . So its 10 divided 512. It ran ok under flash cut. I just need more functionality in my software .

So micro stepping is 100th the steps per rev ? That gives smooth movement.

From your chart, it looks like the stepper is set to half-stepping (2 microsteps per step). That's going to give you the best torque and accuracy, but it doesn't smooth out resonance as much as higher microstepping counts do. The servos have an index pulse, which fires every 10 encoder counts. But it should be moving on the encoder signals, not just on the index pulses.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thank you Andrew I will change that when I get in . The next fun is configuring my A axis that is a stepper drive . I searching for info on that now .

It doesn't like micro steps above 1 . So .512 and half that works . Distance is .005" off moving .02" @.256 ms