584,812 active members*
5,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Closing the loop and controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I guess I was spoiled as I came into the CNC field from the 'Top' end installing and commissioning Fanuc and Mitsubishi, etc, For my self build units I used Galil Motion, which to me was the closest thing to the 'big boys'.
    It is quite enlightening to watch the Galil educational video's by Dr Jacob Tall.
    There is one on the usage of a dual feedback system that is required when you use a Scale and an encoder on the motor to eliminate problems that occur if servo backlash exists (oscillation etc), splitting the PID loop between the two and how to tune it....
    The Galil is also capable of look-ahead motion. The 32 bit microprocessor, has feed-forward and notch filter, encoder feedback up to 12Mhz!
    I found the gearing ability very handy, for example using two servo motors for the Table X axis to synchronize them
    Incidentally the very simple analogue drives that Galil sell are relabeled Advanced Motion Controls, simple transconductance amplifiers.
    Just my 2¢
    Al.
    Linuxcnc can do all of that also..

I guess I was spoiled as I came into the CNC field from the 'Top' end installing and commissioning Fanuc and Mitsubishi, etc, For my self build units I used Galil Motion, which to me was the closest thing to the 'big boys'.
    It is quite enlightening to watch the Galil educational video's by Dr Jacob Tall.
    There is one on the usage of a dual feedback system that is required when you use a Scale and an encoder on the motor to eliminate problems that occur if servo backlash exists (oscillation etc), splitting the PID loop between the two and how to tune it....
    The Galil is also capable of look-ahead motion. The 32 bit microprocessor, has feed-forward and notch filter, encoder feedback up to 12Mhz!
    I found the gearing ability very handy, for example using two servo motors for the Table X axis to synchronize them
    Incidentally the very simple analogue drives that Galil sell are relabeled Advanced Motion Controls, simple transconductance amplifiers.
    Just my 2¢
    Al.
    I did retro fits also and used / installed Galil as well, I went through the Galil training classes they have, that is one of the reasons why I don't recommend Galil for Hobby users, Galil is not for everyone especially someone at the Hobby level

One thing they do have is lots of information about there products
    Mactec54

..............encoder feedback up to 12Mhz! ...............

Al.
    The latest generation Accelera controllers (18x6 and 40x0) are 22MHz now, with loop update times as low as 62?s. Much smoother operation.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

such analysis is provided by the CAM that allows the analysis of the program controlling the processing of any other https://machine.report/

Page 2 of 2 12