585,722 active members*
4,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > servo amplifier recommendations for a 3kw kawasaki servo

servo amplifier recommendations for a 3kw kawasaki servo

I have a surplus 3kw kawasaki servo. I can't find a spec sheet for it anywhere but its listed on the label as being 3kw, AC200V, 18.5 amp, type: 3MC302G-3DRAE-KJ1B2.

I intend to use it as a spindle motor on a CNC knee mill. I am using a KFLOP/KANALOG so I can control it with analog, PWM, serial, step/dir etc and can close the loop outside the drive if needed.

Based on what I know from the label I am thinking something with a max continuous rating of 25 amps would be good such as this: https://dpk3n3gg92jwt.cloudfront.net...eet_B50A20.pdf run from rectified 120v.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails servo.jpg  

Re: servo amplifier recommendations for a 3kw kawasaki servo

I just wanted to update this for posterity incase anyone finds this in a search result. So this is a 12 pole brushless AC motor with sinusoidal back EMF having ~1.9mH inductance per phase. It has a brake with 40 ohms coil resistance that appears to work well from 24v. The encoder is a nikon optical absolute position encoder. It has no hall sensors.

To run it I have retrofit it with a CUI commutation encoder, one of the ones that is programable and takes the place of both hall sensors and a standard encoder. I am running it with an aerotech BA30 320v drive that is of course also surplus. As I am using it for a spindle I am running it as a speed control servo closing the loop from the kflop via another encoder which directly run from the spindle. It works much better than 2hp induction motor that it replaced that probably had about a million hours of run time on it.