585,735 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > How to do spiral lead in for 2D contour multiple depth cut.

Question How to do spiral lead in for 2D contour multiple depth cut.

Hi!
    I'm new to this and working on my first hobby project (a rubber band gun). I'm trying to do a 2D Cutout with multiple depth passes from some plywood. I believe I've read some where that I should not do straight plunges or lead-ins directly into the wood, but instead do spiral cut downs into it. The 3D Adaptive clearing in fusion 360 does this automatically so there you don't have to worry. I can't use that method however as that wants to clear ALL of the plywood away and I just want to cut them out and leave small tabs.

So I found 2D Contour, but with this is just plunging pretty much straight down (very slighly sideways). I'm using a flat 6mm carbide tool (this one), and just looking at it I would guess it's not supposed to be plunged directly down.

How should I solve this, or is this not an issue, are there better tool paths I can use?

Thank you for the help!.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leadinandout.jpg   leadinleadoutbigger.jpg   WhatIWantToAchieve.jpg  

Re: How to do spiral lead in for 2D contour multiple depth cut.

As far as I can tell, ( might be there but I haven`t found one yet) Fusion doesn`t have a proper Contour Ramping cut, the nearest I have as a "workaround" is a sort of part ramp where the tool will ramp down along part of the cut and then continue at the set depth instead of ramping all the way down as it goes around, at least in the sample program I have done.

I have no doubt there will be a much better method of doing the full contour ramping where the tool is constantly moving in the Z as well as the X and Y

Anyway, it might be of some use to you so here is an image of what I have done and the Fusion f3d file is attached in the Zip file, have a play around with the settings under the "Link" tab and see what you can get out of it

Regards
    Rob

P.S. Here is an image from a different CAD-CAM software that does do a full angled contour ramp, is that more like what you need ? I know none of thie above does a Spiral but it`s all I can come up with for now

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2D Ramping.JPG   Full 2D Contour Ramping.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for the information, I also stumbled across how to do it in Fusion 360.
    There is a Ramp option in Fusion 360. Se picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rampstepdown2dcontour.jpg  

Yes, that is what I used in my example, it is only a lead in ramp not a full ramping contour but if it is enough to get you going as a "workaround" then good enough

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Yes, that is what I used in my example,
    Ah, ok I misunderstood.

By setting the lead in ramp step very low it pretty much did a ramp the entire way around. I think this will be enough for me for now. Or is it something else you mean that this does not do? I'm very new to this so I might not be understanding what you mean.

Thank you

For wood, I'd just ramp at 30°, or an angle that gives you a 1"-2" ramp.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by vosser View Post
    Ah, ok I misunderstood.

By setting the lead in ramp step very low it pretty much did a ramp the entire way around. I think this will be enough for me for now. Or is it something else you mean that this does not do? I'm very new to this so I might not be understanding what you mean.

Thank you
    What I am meaning is a full proper Contour Ramping as in the image I posted earlier, the ramping is not a Lead-in but a full ramp that is continually moving down in the Z as the tool moves around the contour, it only stays at the same Z level when the cut reaches the bottom of the cut as it does one complete finishing pass at the full depth set. As far as I can tell Fusion 360 doesn`t have this simple strategy, shame as it is a very, very useful and quite quick cutting strategy

It may well be somewhere in Fusion and I just haven`t found it yet, if it isn`t then I might put it up for the developement team to look at

Image posted again JFYI

Regards
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full 2D Contour Ramping.JPG  

It's there. I use it all the time. The attached screenshot is from one of the Longworth chucks I cut regularly, this one is 16" in diameter. We've now cut over 90 of these and I see X, Y, and Z all changing as this is ramping down. If you set it like Gerry suggested for wood, 30° angle, it ramps down quickly. But the default seems to be 2° and I just leave it there on most jobs. Believe me, it definitely is a continual ramping profile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D Contour - Ramp.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	411600

David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

David, hold my hand up you are correct, in my example I was a bit rushed and hadn`t noticed that "Multiple Depths" were still enabled under the "Passes" tab, disabled that and it works as I had expected it should

Thanks for your input, got me to take a second look at VOSSERs original request

Regards
    Rob