584,849 active members*
4,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

$200 Spindle Motor?

Hi,

I have a home-made laser engraver that can also take a pen holder for plots. As I want to be able to attach a spindle motor, the frame is overkill for the laser.
    It would be a light-duty unit that would be capable of making circuit boards and some shaping of wood and plastic.
    My budget is currently about $230 (US). Is it possible to get reasonable quality for that?
    In looking around, I see some motors advertised with 4 bearings. What should I look for?

Thanks

Re: $200 Spindle Motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamjim View Post
    Hi,

I have a home-made laser engraver that can also take a pen holder for plots. As I want to be able to attach a spindle motor, the frame is overkill for the laser.
    It would be a light-duty unit that would be capable of making circuit boards and some shaping of wood and plastic.
    My budget is currently about $230 (US). Is it possible to get reasonable quality for that?
    In looking around, I see some motors advertised with 4 bearings. What should I look for?

Thanks
    Would have to see what you were going to attach it to lasers in general have a very light construction and would not be suitable to hold a spindle even at 800w there are some really cheap DC motors that have a collet chuck on that may work but would have to see some photos of the machine
    Mactec54

Please assume the frame and gondola are sufficient for a 5-800W motor. It is designed to take, according to my needs at the time, a laser module, a pen holder, a 3D print head, or a spindle motor.

I'm asking what features to look for in a motor, and if it is even possible to get something for $230 (or less).

Take a look at "400W BLDC spindles" on eBay. This is what I am using for circuit boards, plastics and occasionally small aluminum parts. The whole kit costs just about $230. That includes a motor (with ER-11 chuck), a controller, a 48V power supply and a mounting bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400W-Air-co...V/401503944025

Thanks, CitizenOfDreams. It appears to be a complete package of matched components that will be easy to set up. How long did delivery take?

How long did delivery take?
    I don't remember, but typically packages from China get anywhere in the world in 1 to 6 weeks. Keep in mind that they are celebrating New Year right now, so it will probably be another week before the package gets shipped.

Thanks, CitizenOfDreams. It appears to be a complete package of matched components that will be easy to set up. How long did delivery take?
    It will pay to look around you can get the same and sometimes better than that package for half that price
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It will pay to look around you can get the same and sometimes better than that package for half that price
    For example?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    For example?
    There are many and some have direct 120v and 230v connection no power supply needed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ER16-DC48V-....c100290.m3507

https://www.ebay.com/itm/500W-Spindl....c100290.m3507
    Mactec54

The first one has a good price, although it still needs a 48V power supply. And the motor does not have Hall sensors, so I'm not sure how well it would work with that controller.

The second one is a brushed motor. And the controller that comes with it is complete and utter garbage. I had one of those.

The first one has a good price, although it still needs a 48V power supply. And the motor does not have Hall sensors, so I'm not sure how well it would work with that controller.

The second one is a brushed motor. And the controller that comes with it is complete and utter garbage. I had one of those.
    No Brushes in either of those motors, and there are many more to choose from, down to $50 all with the same DC motor
    Mactec54

No Brushes in either of those motors
    How can this be a brushless motor? It's a good old brushed 100V DC motor, unless they somehow managed to fit a tiny 500W VFD inside it.

How can this be a brushless motor? It's a good old brushed 100V DC motor, unless they somehow managed to fit a tiny 500W VFD inside it.
    Brushed or brushless DC motors are not going to make any difference to what the OP wants to do, he could use a trim router as well if he wanted there are plenty of options for the OP
    Mactec54

Brushed or brushless DC motors are not going to make any difference to what the OP wants to do, he could use a trim router as well if he wanted there are plenty of options for the OP
    As I said, I have used both of those motors - the BLDC package similar to the one I suggested and the 100VDC brushed motor pictured above.
    The BLDC spindle was very easy to connect to Mach3 for speed control. For its brushed counterpart I had to leave the manual potentiometer in place and kludge up an external tachometer for RPM reading. Its speed varied significantly with load. The brushes wore out in no time. The controller was constantly shutting off for no apparent reason. I definitely would not recommend anyone to "save" a hundred bucks and deal with this piece of garbage.

As I said, I have used both of those motors - the BLDC package similar to the one I suggested and the 100VDC brushed motor pictured above.
    The BLDC spindle was very easy to connect to Mach3 for speed control. For its brushed counterpart I had to leave the manual potentiometer in place and kludge up an external tachometer for RPM reading. Its speed varied significantly with load. The brushes wore out in no time. The controller was constantly shutting off for no apparent reason. I definitely would not recommend anyone to "save" a hundred bucks and deal with this piece of garbage.
    Only because you did not know what you where doing where the pot is you can directly control it with Mach3 just as any other PWM control

All of these are junk no matter how you look at it, they are just a regular DC motor with a ER collet chuck put on it's shaft, for light use like the OP wanted they will work fine until he needs any accuracy as the bearings in these motors are not designed to be used as a spindle
    Mactec54

I am looking to replace the router on my 2-axis CNC (fixed Z) with a spindle for noise and runout issues. It will be used to cut hardwood, not any metal. I can find this combination of 400W spindle and Hall Effects controller on eBay or Amazon, no problem.
    https://smile.amazon.com/UCONTRO-24-...gateway&sr=8-5
    The controller is rated at 600W.
    I can also find this 500W spindle motor with Hall effects, but it is never paired with a controller:
    Has anyone used this NVBDH+ controller with this 500W motor?
    I understand that the bearings in this motor may not be quite up to those of a true spindle.
    Thanks for any input.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GEBrown View Post
    I am looking to replace the router on my 2-axis CNC (fixed Z) with a spindle for noise and runout issues. It will be used to cut hardwood, not any metal. I can find this combination of 400W spindle and Hall Effects controller on eBay or Amazon, no problem.
    The controller is rated at 600W.
    I can also find this 500W spindle motor with Hall effects, but it is never paired with a controller:
    Has anyone used this NVBDH+ controller with this 500W motor?
    I understand that the bearings in this motor may not be quite up to those of a true spindle.
    Thanks for any input.
    Gary
    All of these types of DC motor brushed or brushless just use regular motor bearing, they are just a regular motor, with a collet chuck added so nothing special, the bearings are the same type as what your router motor is using
    Mactec54

I just received a 400W BLDC kit from AliExpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32883706355). Shipping took 4 weeks.
    As usual, I was not paying attention and missed that the kit did not include a power supply, even though the nice picture showed one.
    The kit includes a WS55-180 BLDC Motor Driver.
    Will a generic 48v 10a switch-mode power supply be acceptable, or is a better one needed?
    Thanks

Will a generic 48v 10a switch-mode power supply be acceptable, or is a better one needed?
    Just a regular 48V 10A switching power supply will do, it does not need anything special.

I have a complete set as in the link
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/400W-Air-co...V/401503944025
    I bought it but never used it, if you still need it, can you contact me. I live in USA

I have a complete set as in the link

Page 1 of 2 12