584,829 active members*
4,798 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HyperTherm consumables

Hello all. First post to the group. Has anyone had trouble with Hypertherm consumables? I bought some new genuine hypertherm 45amp fine cut nozzles and electrodes. When I put a new one in it seems like it is struggling it arc and then kicks off. If I do a manual cut it is fine. After I run it for a while it works ever time. Any ideas. I have searched. Being new to the plasma area (I have had my machine since April of 18). Machine info Arclight CNC with a Powermax 65. I am running at 45A and all the setting in the tool are per the manual.

Re: HyperTherm consumables

First, be sure you have genuine consumables. There are a lot of copies of the consumables as well as the packaging. If you bought from an authorized Hypertherm dealer then you are likely ok. Second, with the fact that Hypertherm produces millions of consumables a month in its new Hampshire USA facilities, it certainly is possible (but rare) to have defects. Most there are other issues such as inlet dynamic air pressure or pierce heights that can affect starting of a plasma....everything has to be right for it to work as designed. For this reason it is always best to call the experts, Hypertherm's tech service staff. They can help determine if there is anything wrong with your consumables....and will help solve your issue. 1 800 643 9878 or [email protected] Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Metalingalong View Post
    Hello all. First post to the group. Has anyone had trouble with Hypertherm consumables? I bought some new genuine hypertherm 45amp fine cut nozzles and electrodes. When I put a new one in it seems like it is struggling it arc and then kicks off. If I do a manual cut it is fine. After I run it for a while it works ever time. Any ideas. I have searched. Being new to the plasma area (I have had my machine since April of 18). Machine info Arclight CNC with a Powermax 65. I am running at 45A and all the setting in the tool are per the manual.

Thank you for your reply. I have had issues with the first two electrodes that I have put in from a bulk pack of 25. The third that I have just put in seems to be working fine. I will call in if I continue to have problems. Thank you for your help.

I have had issues with the 45 amp fine cut consumables as well. In my case it is almost like the arc gets weak and it can intermittently struggle to cut all the way through the steel. It's not all the time, just every once in a while. As the consumables age the problem goes away. I have experienced this over the past 4-5 years on multiple packages of genuine Hypertherm consumables.