584,879 active members*
5,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Enabling macros

This may be a rudimentary question, but I'm having a hard time finding the answer nonetheless. I'm attempting to enable macros on a HAAS VF2 and HAAS VF4 vertical milling center, but it won't enable.

I turn on emergency stop, go into Settings and turn my parameter lock off, then go into Parameters and locate "Ena MACROS." It's set to 0, obviously, and when I try to set it to 1, nothing happens; it stays set to 0. Things like "Ena BGeditor" allow me to enable and disable, 1 and 0, just fine, so the problem is limited to the macros parameter.

My best guess is that MACROS is an optional feature of the software which my particular machines weren't loaded with, thus not allowing me to enable the feature because it isn't there. Is this true or am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by traceflair View Post
    My best guess is that MACROS is an optional feature of the software which my particular machines weren't loaded with, thus not allowing me to enable the feature because it isn't there. Is this true or am I doing something wrong?
    They should be in the machine, however it is an option you have to pay for. the "0" designation just means you do not have the option installed. you would have to call haas and purchase the macro's option and I BELIEVE it's as simple as them sending you a code specific to each machine that you can key in to turn the MACROS on

Sorry my response is of no help im just curious what are the macros for?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR1 View Post
    Sorry my response is of no help im just curious what are the macros for?
    I am very new to using them myself but simply put it's a way of programming where you can have something happen depending on something else.

I was recently working on a program and was attempting to use macros to return the machine table to directly in front of the doors only IF the single block button was pushed (active). If it was not pushed the program would just keep on going

Unfortunately I also ran into this gentleman's problem... Machines where Macros were not installed haha.

Check out the manual online, there's a ton of good stuff in there.

Macros

Haas has a different password for each option. These passwords differ for each serialized machine. Therefore, it is not like FANUC which allows you to turn on any parameter you want. Macros are great. I love using them as part counters and so on.

Re: Enabling macros

I recognize this is an old thread, but I feel like venting. I bought a small company that included a Haas TM1. I've been happy as a clam, but have always had some concerns about the quality of its internal software. My TM1 has almost 2000 hrs of runtime on it. I've explored some programming techniques which include using local variables (#1-#100, etc). For the last two days I've been running a program on the mill which cuts a single slot in 4 parts before requiring a reload. I tried to edit it to change a line "#20=0.175" to "#20=0.200", or something like that. The TM1 was complaining about BAD CODE. After losing an hour chasing that down due to the misleading error message, I found out that the problem was the TM1 Macros were not enabled (Parameter 57, bit 22). Not only am I unable to Enable macros anymore, my original program doesn't work! Sheesh. This has all happened within the span of 2 hours. This may have been working from a Demo mode that had been turned on at some point. I didn't enable that mode. Macros are a $2700 option and I'm not even sure that I can get that going since my local Haas support is not the shop that sold it. I also use macros on my lathe so I can imagine that feature will stop working on the lathe soon as well. I'm ticked at Haas. I've been considering upgrading to a mill with a tool changer. I will avoid Haas if possible. I just do simple machining anyway.

David I don`t get why it has anything to do with Haas ,,, So someone buys one of the lowest priced machines made then gets pissed that they did not pay for the macro programming to get turned on? If you payed for it and did not get it or it did not work right I could see why you would be pissed. but when you did not pay for it how can you be mad at them.

If your software is the older control it should be GREAT, If the mill is a 2017 model with the next gen control you would want to have it updated to the newer nex gen software.
    ( I had a early 2017 nex gen machine and the software was "CRAP" ) the new nex gen mill I got at the end of 2018 is working fine ,,

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    If your software is the older control it should be GREAT, If the mill is a 2017 model with the next gen control you would want to have it updated to the newer nex gen software.
    ( I had a early 2017 nex gen machine and the software was "CRAP" ) the new nex gen mill I got at the end of 2018 is working fine ,,
    I quit having my next gen software updated because every time it was updated they would fix one thing and screw something else up. Last summer I actually had the software "downgraded" according to Haas, because I had them put 100.17.000.1017 software back on it. That version had problems, but it wouldn't even run with what they replaced it with (100.18.000.2042?????) At least with 100.17.000.1017 I knew what the problems were and how (and was actually able to) work around them.