584,842 active members*
4,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Replacement X2 Motor Controller

Hey Guys,

The motor controller on my Sieg X2 died today and it looks like I'm going to have to send it out to get repaired since they don't appear to be sold anywhere anymore. Though I will probably still send it out anyways, I remembered that I had a spare motor control board off a mini lathe lying around and it seems to be almost identical to the one off my mill, except that the lathe board is FC250BJ/110V while the one from the mill is FC350BJ/110V. Can anyone tell me if its safe to use this board on my X2? Even if it's only temporarily until I'm able to get my other board repaired, it would be nice to get right back up and running again.

b

Re: Replacement X2 Motor Controller

If I'm not mistaken the lathe motor is 350w vs the 500w on the x2 . Little machineshop sells a direct replacement board .
    I'd recommend searching ebay for a kbic board , it's a much better replacement

The first thing that I did when the board died was check LMS but it says the board that I need is discontinued and out of stock. The only thing that I’ve been able to find on the internet regarding replacement or repair of the stock board is an ad on eBay and a small website both from a guy who goes by olduhfguy who offers a repair service for $50. While I was searching though I did come across a few mentions of the KBIC boards. Are they that much better? Would I have any problems still using my CNC4PC C6 spindle speed controller board? The information that I found says that there’s two different boards that should work, the KNLC-19PM, and the KBIC-120, any suggestions on which one is best?

I know nothing about the cnc 4pc control , I got in the habit of immediately tossing the controls on my mills as I bought them , and replaced them with the kblc boards . There was a fair difference in motor performance

The KBIC-120 is the only one I have used. It has the standard 0-10V (actually the manual shows 0-7") input terminals for motor speed.
    This signal isolator board is recommended, which snops over the KBIC and also adds screw terminals.
    You will also need a resistor to match the motor HP
    It's about the same price ($80) everywhere, buy from a dealer that offers tech support.

Everything you need is here (random dealer)

https://www.galco.com/buy/KB-Electro...YaAq9gEALw_wcB

Thanks for the input guys! I ended up getting the KBLC-19PM board and the appropriate power resistor of eBay and I they finally arrived yesterday. I ended up finding a couple write-ups on how to do the conversion and it seems pretty straightforward, but there is one thing that has me a little confused. The two write-ups that I found both say that the conversion requires a 5K potentiometer, which I had originally thought just meant reusing the original, but after going through the instructions again neither mentions the original pot and instead seem to suggest that I need a different one. Does anyone know if the original potentiometer can be reused with this new board? I have a bunch of extra potentiometers lying around but I don't think that I have a 5K at the moment.

Thanks,

the original potentiometer worked fine for mine