586,011 active members*
4,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: lathe z axis

lathe z axis

I have a 2meters Z axis lathe (about 2tons machine) and i want to put a servo motor to move z axis. I don't want to use ballscrew because i need 32mm diameter 2+ meters ballscrew which is costly. What options exist for rack-pinion without backlash? Also servobelt is suitable for this case? What belt to use with servobelt?

Re: lathe z axis

Is this a manual lathe now?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Yes is a manual lathe now that has in Z axis feed bar for feeds leadscrew for threads and rack pinion for hand moving. But all these have backlash.

If you put an air spring on the carriage it will cancel the backlash and you can drive the carriage with the feed bar. I was going to do this to my lathe and convert it to CNC but keep all of the manual capability, but I bought a CNC lathe and never converted the manual.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

spring is not a solution because i want z cutting from both sides left & right. What options exist for backlash free rack-pinion ? servobelt is ok for this application? What belt i need for servobelt?

An air spring will work if it is designed correctly. But you can use the existing rack and use double gears on it.

I would not use a belt for this application. I have used Gates HTD belts for similar positioning applications.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

What about 2005 ballscrew with rotating ballnut(not rotating ballscrew)?

That would work perfectly. Maybe also look at a 2010 ball screw
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I have converted my lathes for CNC turning but I can (and want/need) still use them manually. I use the original lead screws. That works OK (for me) because I do CNC turning the same way I do manual turning. It is just the computer that turns the dials. Backlash is compensated in software and I use a tool table so I can change from outer to inner turning without adjustments. I do facing, turning (taper), chamfer and threading without any problems. Even turning a gear cutter or timing belt pulley cutter is not a problem. The limitation is for complex forms where the tool has to move often in opposite directions like turning a chess peace. Also if every second counts, you better choose backlash free spindles, because backlash compensation cost time to execute.
    I don't say it is the way to go for every one, but for me, who wants to keep the manual capabilities, is works OK.