584,350 active members*
7,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DeskCNC

DeskCNC

I used Deskcnc awhile a go has is anyone using it now?

Yes, for over a year it has created g code and controlled my machine with good results.

I use it with all our controllers. A proven great package. We are currently working with the developer at the moment, watch this space, great things to come.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Just bought it.

I just purchased DeskCNC with controller and digitizer for $575.00 after looking at at the demo for some time, and looking at several other packages. I though this provided the most for the money. One thing of note to anyone getting into this for the first time, if you wish to run your machine from Windows you will need a control package that provides an external pulse generator, to achive good performance. I have tried several packages in both Windows, and DOS, and wrote a couple Windows apps myself (Industrial Software Developer by trade) to try and overcome this by placing the pulse generator code in a protected run-time kernal below Windows, and experienced performance in line with DOS based packages. I am hoping that DeskCNC will cure this problem, and if not, they include a nifty programming API to use with the controller board, and I may take a stab at some new software to control it.

:idea:

I've been using DeskCNC for a little over a year now. Have had absolutely NO problems with it.
    Most reliable piece of software I've purchased.
    Mike

IMService is the US based master distributor for DeskCNC. We will have 4 machines at NAMES April 24-25, near Detroit, MI. All 4 running with servos and DeskCNC.

Sherline mill running 3D probe surface scans
    Sherline Lathe
    Desktop router (17 x 17)
    Sherline mill with new belt drive servos

If you are in the area, it will be a good chance to see DeskCNC in action. "Mr. Carl" (the author of all the Deskam and Deskcnc software programs) himself will be present.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com

Let me see if I understand how DeskCNC works.

Unlike other software such as KCam and Mach2, DeskCNC requires an interpreter board (DeskCNC controller). Instead of bit-banging the parallel port it sends move commands to the interpreter board through the serial port. The interpreter board generates all the signals needed for (your) axis drivers. This avoids the rather nasty Windows PP API which doesn't give software control over timing of the parallel port. The result is faster and smoother motion than is normally possibly under windows.

One thing I'm not grasping. The web page says that it requires the same pitch screws on X and Y to do circular interpolation. Since it knows how many steps per inch each axis is, I can't see it having troubles doing circles. This only leaves me simply not understanding what is meant by "Circular Interpolation". So, what does this mean and what are the implications should you not have identical pitches on X and Y?

DeskCNC

"Unlike other software such as KCam and Mach2, DeskCNC requires an interpreter board (DeskCNC controller). "

If you think of it as a breakout board, things may come into perspective when comparing to parallel port controllers. It is however an intelligent breakout board with direct e-stop, feed hold, cycle start, and probe/limit inputs, and output relay control signals for spindle speed and direction and flood and/or mist coolant. Because the hardware control is on the controller chip and not tied to the parallel port, it is also possible to use a USB to serial adaptor.

"The result is faster and smoother motion than is normally possibly under windows."

That is correct. About 45,000 smooth steps per second on a "dumpster grade", Windows 98 (or later) computer, which is also faster than many DOS controllers can meet. All 4 axes can be pulsed at this rate at the same time.

"what is meant by "Circular Interpolation". So, what does this mean and what are the implications should you not have identical pitches on X and Y?"

With DeskCNC, circular and linear interpolation are implemented within the controller in hardware. Circular interpolation requires that both axes have the same step ratios. If you want to cut an arc and you don't have the same ratios, you are attempting to do elliptical interpolation. Elliptical interpolation is not implemented in hardware, but it IS implemented in software. For most users this will be a distinction without a difference.

However at extremely high feedrates (and greater than 300 motion blocks per second), the software interpolation throughput may limit the top speed. An arc takes only one motion block whereas an ellipse can take many. Hence a significant speed increase if both axes have the same ratios and arcs are used in the G-code.

Fred Smith - IMService

Now I get the circular interpolation part. Its not that it *cant* do it if the axis pitches aren't the same, it just means that it'll take CPU power to calculate the ever changing slope of the eliptical path required to cut that circle. As long as your computer is fast enough to do the calculations within the time span required to complete a command, you won't notice anything. If its not fast enough, the controller will have to twiddle its electrons for a bit, waiting for the new information to be calculated and sent.

Oh and yes, I was trying to make out what all the screw connectors were on the controller. I think the ones on the left side of the picture are home switch inputs, the rest I couldn't really make out.

I'd like to suggest that the desciption of the controller board could do with some expansion. Just looking at the description I didn't realize that it was really a complete breakout board with limits, estop, etc. To a noob it seemed more like a copy protection dongle (incorrect assumption of course). I've only just recently become aware of the difficulties with bit-banging the parallel port through windows. I Guess its one of those things that "everyone knows so why bother explaining?" things we all fall into.

At $100 it seemed like a horribly expensive copy protection dongle. Now that I know what it really is, $100 seems quite reasonable to me. Hell, I spent $60 putting together a urinal flush timer for work - and believe me it was NOT complex.

So far DeskCNC is the front runner for me. Mach2 looks damned good too and I like the price but, I want to do mostly 2.5D stuff (PCBs, front panels, etc) and DeskCNC seems to be the least hassle on my part. DeskPCB looked OK too but who knows, might want to move up to a "real" milling machine sometime and whack some metal around.

I'm using DeskCNC for my upcoming retrofit on a knee mill ad had a chance to play with it at CNC Teknix on one of their shop machines while I was there picking up my controller/servo motors and PSU.

For someone that has never touched a PC based CNC I found the implication/application amazing and it's so easy to do what for me on manual machines is near impossible (not enough hands)!

I also bought their "digitising probe" and am looking forward to playing with it !

Originally posted by Rhodan
    Oh and yes, I was trying to make out what all the screw connectors were on the controller. I think the ones on the left side of the picture are home switch inputs, the rest I couldn't really make out.
    Here is a diagram that shows most of the connections.
    http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc/OtherConnections.htm

All the functionality of DeskPCB is included in DeskCNC.

Fred Smith - IMService

Originally posted by imserv
    Here is a diagram that shows most of the connections.
    http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc/OtherConnections.htm

All the functionality of DeskPCB is included in DeskCNC.

Fred Smith - IMService
    I missed that one - I even looked at the flow chart link right beside it too heh. Definately a lot of functionality in that little board - going to save me a LOT of work.

Check your order desk - just put mine in

We are currently working with the Developer of DeskCNC on some really exciting new features. It is jam packed with features at the moment, but still we keep adding more. DeskCNC is a real winner in PC CNC control. Our company distributes it with ALL of our cnc control systems. We have tried a lot of others but they don't make the grade. REAL TIME = REAL PROBLEMS and deskCNC has made it REAL EASY, you don't have to run XP, you don't have to have a certain type of PC Hardware and it just keeps getting better and better.

Big thumbs up for DeskCNC - Keep posted as there will be some announcements about DeskCNC and surrounding products in the near future. If you are tossing up what software to get, I can really recommend DeskCNC, not because I distribute it, but because I have been through all of the exploritory work myself.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well, aside from the current lack of backlash compensation for arcs and circles, a tool height function which half works and a manual befitting a TV dinner, it's a very useable package. The developer provides a user forum and good support -- which leaves me with some degree of confidence that updates will address user issues. For the price of the package (hardware and software), it's the most competent that I've used by far.

Has anyone ever gotten DeskCNC to actually work?

I purchased a package IN DECEMBER, 2010 - and despite literally months of headaches it still won't work as advertised.

I use deskcnc almost everyday with absolutely no problems at all
    Make sure to read the Manuel it's all in there

New to CNC need help

Hi my Name is Les . I am in central Queensland and I have constructed a Pilot Pro 2642 CNC router from PDJ cnc in Portland Oregon USA, It uses Deskcnc operating system, the machine Quality I cant fault, but I am struggling with the Deskcnc setup (getting it to run in metric and display setup) I am looking for someone local who can help. Haveing trouble fault finding via emails back and forth to the states. ?

see link
    PDJ Pilot Pro CNC router kits assembled plans 3D printing prototyping woodworking projects

If there is any way you can swap that DeskCNC package for the Mach3 I would do it even at added cost. Mach3 and CamBam and you'll be happy. Deskcnc, you can make it work but it will be mostly on your own via trial and error. If its not practical to convert there are a few guys on the Sherline CNC yahoo group that were a great help to me and other.

I guess if I want to see the deskcnc boards in action I will have to attend. I have purchased the gen 1 and gen 2 boards and an update chip for the gen 1 and haven't been able to get either of the boards to work. it has become not a minor investment for a conversation piece. Shortly after I had purchase the boards they started charging for tech support. this all took place several years ago-shortly after the gen 2 came out. maybe next year!

Quote Originally Posted by ljd10 View Post
    I guess if I want to see the deskcnc boards in action I will have to attend. I have purchased the gen 1 and gen 2 boards and an update chip for the gen 1 and haven't been able to get either of the boards to work. it has become not a minor investment for a conversation piece. Shortly after I had purchase the boards they started charging for tech support. this all took place several years ago-shortly after the gen 2 came out. maybe next year!
    Can you be more specific? I might be able to help.

Sent from tapatalk