584,846 active members*
4,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > UGH - I did something stupid and now I have a mess to deal with

UGH - I did something stupid and now I have a mess to deal with

Good morning all,

I just found out I did something really stupid when I built my CNC router, I believe I used something like an axle grease to lube the ball screws and guideway trucks. I don't have the container anymore (it was about 2 years ago I built the router) so I am not sure exactly what it was, I do recall it was probably red in color.

Anyway, I happened to reach under the router the other day and my hand rubbed against the ball screw - the grease on it was VERY sticky, almost glue like. I suspect it is drying out. At some point soon, this is going to cause all sorts of problems so I am going to need to clean this crud out. Aside from taking the entire machine apart, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can clean it up?

Thanks in advance!

Chris D

Re: UGH - I did something stupid and now I have a mess to deal with

If you can access whatever retains the wipers I would try sliding the wipers to the ends of the travel. With the wipers out of the way try a combination of movement and some type of friendly solvent.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    Good morning all,

I just found out I did something really stupid when I built my CNC router, I believe I used something like an axle grease to lube the ball screws and guideway trucks. I don't have the container anymore (it was about 2 years ago I built the router) so I am not sure exactly what it was, I do recall it was probably red in color.

Anyway, I happened to reach under the router the other day and my hand rubbed against the ball screw - the grease on it was VERY sticky, almost glue like. I suspect it is drying out. At some point soon, this is going to cause all sorts of problems so I am going to need to clean this crud out. Aside from taking the entire machine apart, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can clean it up?

Thanks in advance!

Chris D
    Just remove all the old grease you can get at, and pump in the new correct grease, should be quite easy to clean up with a solvent or a good user friendly degreaser, you should be regreasing your machine every 3 months just a little in the ballnut and the rail bearing is all that is needed
    Mactec54

Grease tends to hold crud in place. Oil lets the crud flush out. I use oil, not grease.

Cheers
    Roger