Hi all,

I have a 1987 Shizouka B-3V with a Fanuc OM-A and 18-tool side-mount ATC. This machine seems to use a PLC-based tool changer instead of a O900x macro. I tested the tool changer and found it to complete a tool change properly without a tool in the spindle when I first got the machine.

Long story short, I chucked up a CAT40 tool in my BT40 machine like the moron that I am, did a tool change, and the arm smacked into the toolholder and the machine was stuck in the middle of a tool change.

I shut down the machine, backed off air pressure, and manually reset the arm. No visible damage, and when walking the arm manually through the cycles, the limit switches all actuate when they should - but when powered back up and trying to execute a toolchange, the machine won't move the arm.

When commanded with a Tx M06, it will rotate the carousel, index the spindle, lower the tool holder thingy, and then hang until the program is reset.

I can "cheat" the arm into moving by jumpering the appropriate solenoids, but the "manual" control panel (switches in the ATC junction box that are labelled with the different functions of the tool changer) won't actuate any of the arm functions (neutral, up/down, cw/ccw).

I've poked around in diagnostics and managed to make the problem worse. I found the diagnostic numbers that indicate the tool in the spindle (0503), the carousel position (0502), and the ADDR MEMO light (????, diag 0500) and tried manually editing them to see if there was some "tool change in progress" flag or something that could be kicked back to normal. No joy, and despite changing them back to there original values, the ONLY tool changer functionality that works now is manually indexing the tool changer carousel using the aforementioned manual control panel. So uh, that's pretty sweet.

Any suggestions for next troubleshooting steps are very welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew